Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,473 Posts
When I thought about this I realised I couldn't recall the opening bars of most operas, even some of my favourites. But there is one that stands out for its tremendous orchestral blast in the opening notes. The drama of a ship trying to make harbour in a storm played out by the orchestra and chorus and then.... Esultate! I'm drained just thinking about it.

Best opening scene: Otello

· Registered
1,473 Posts
What the...? Last I checked, today's subject is "scary arias." Why are people naming unscary orchestral passages? Does this thread need moderator intervention, as in:

This thread has gone off-topic.

It isn't tomorrow anywhere in the world.
More confusion to come, I expect. Better to have started this on the first of the the month?

· Registered
1,473 Posts
22. Opera with the hardest stage effect to bring off successfully. (Please specify the stage effect.)

The almost complete lack of horses in Ring Cycle productions. It's as if they're scared to attempt it.

Yet when the (animatronic) horse appears in Seigfried's Rhine Journey in Lepage's production it provided the most beautiful scene.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
:)

Yeah, that was expensive, and I watched the met's documentary on it, and apparently it could be very dangerous.
I saw it too; unfortunately before watching the opera DVDs. Not advised! Seeing how hard the multitude of stagehands were working to support the supposed electronically controlled machine takes all the mystique from the production.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.