Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,481 Posts
Don Giovanni.

Leporello's wonderful entrance aria followed by a rape and a murder -- all in less than six minutes!

And all set to the most sublime music...

· Registered
2,481 Posts
Iago's Credo from Verdi's Otello.

Reactions: Sloe

· Registered
2,481 Posts
3. The finale of Act I from Don Giovanni when three orchestras on stage play three different tunes simultaneously.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
4. I also vote for Verdi's Iago -- howlingfantods beat me to it.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
5. Casablanca. Great characters, exotic locale, a nice flashback, good villains, a fair bit of comic relief.

Let's do it!

Reactions: Figleaf

· Registered
2,481 Posts
Each question time (the time during which a particular question will be answered) will end at 8:30 AM CST.
Post #2 specifies that the Question Day resets at 8:30 a.m. CST = 9:30 a.m. EST = 2:30 p.m. GMT.

Or about one hour ago.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
6. Dmitri Tcherniakov.

His re-imagining of Don Giovanni as a familial drama in the Aix production with Bo Skovhus was brilliant. I also appreciated his Met Prince Igor which spared us from another Polovtsian Dances straight out of National Geographic.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
7. Il Trovatore is my pick. Macbeth would be second with some help from Shakespeare. There aren't too many operas where things go smoothly.

Reactions: Jorge Hereth

· Registered
2,481 Posts
8. The Saint-Sulpice scene where Massenet's Manon seduces the Chevalier-turned-priest.

"N'est-ce plus ma main, que cette main presse? N'est-ce plus ma voix?"

I know it wasn't there during the time of Louis XIV when the opera is set, but Massenet (along with his audience) was presumably familiar with Delacroix's mural of Jacob Wrestling with the Angel installed in one of the chapels at Saint-Sulpice. No doubt the temporal purists will scoff, but I find it a serendipitously fitting metaphor for Des Grieux's embattled conscience and like to imagine him gazing at it while singing "Ah, fuyez, douce image!"

Reactions: Braddan

· Registered
2,481 Posts
9. I'll go old school and put my money on Handel. Having dangled a sassy soprano out a window, we know he can walk the walk.

Wagner would probably talk a big game, but when the commotion started, he would probably take the opportunity to run out on his tab. :lol:

· Registered
2,481 Posts
10. Suicide -- Aida. Secretly entombing yourself with your lover rather than living without... And then singing a gorgeous duet.

^ nina foresti, what Iago are you referring to?

Reactions: Azol

· Registered
2,481 Posts
Oops! Forgive me. I am the one who is hopelessly lost, not you. My eye skipped forward to #15, the role I would most want to play so please nix the Iago (although maybe what we are not aware of is that he actually did do himself in when he heard that Otello was dead -- before they could get to him. LOL)
Haha. That explains it. I was a bit confused because your other two picks are indeed suicides!

By the way, thanks for bringing Menotti's The Consul to my attention - I am not at all familiar with it, but it sounds interesting.

:tiphat:

· Registered
2,481 Posts
11. Most visited opera house: The Met in New York by a wide margin.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
12. Best a cappella moment: climax of "Son geloso del zefiro errante" from La Sonnambula. Call-and-response arpeggios which then join up. This is where the tenor earns his keep.

From approximately 4:45 to 5:30 in this clip with Dessay and the amazing Florez. Even the poor sound can't mask the remarkable, easy roundness of Florez's high notes:

· Registered
2,481 Posts
13. If I can pick a Super Villain, perhaps The Joker, telling the tale of his rivalry with Batman from his perspective à la Wicked or Maleficent. Villains are often the more interesting characters.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
14. Best music -- Don Giovanni, followed close behind by Le Nozze di Figaro and Così fan tutte. With or without words, the pinnacle of opera.

Reactions: Creatio and DavidA

· Registered
2,481 Posts
15. Role I would like to play -- Eugene Onegin.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.