Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,235 Posts
Best instrumental passage - everyone was tempted to list some Wagner of course, but this is what I have in mind: Finale of Act 1 of Francesca da Rimini by Zandonai. This is sublime!

· Registered
2,235 Posts
Let's get back on topic, please.

16. Best magical/supernatural moment.

The second half of Antonia act from Les Contes d'Hoffmann with Miracle appearing/disappering and finally invoking the vision of Antonia's mother. When staged right, this is just a hair-rising scene!

· Registered
2,235 Posts
I believe you are aware there was an alternative ending: Carlo stabs himself, which makes more sense than traditional Finale. Actually, I even saw this alternative ending performed live in an opera house. And it does not disappoint (well, obviously, you want to enjoy a perfect bloody evening since you went to watch a Verdi opera!)

Coincidentally, we are voting (in the other thread) for the best recording of the second opera from Il Trittico, so I would say that Il Tabarro has disappointing ending since it does not resolve the main conflict between Michele and his wife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.