Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
509 Posts
Best opening scene: I'd have to say La Forza Del Destino. Who in their right mind drops a loaded gun to the floor. Only in opera :)

· Registered
509 Posts
7. Opera that best illustrates Murphy's Law (whatever can go wrong, will go wrong)

Il Trovatore: Leonora tried desperately to save her love Manrico by giving herself to the Conte and then sacrifice her own life by taking poison, but this ends up with the acceleration of Manrico's end (ordered by an enraged Conte).
And throwing the wrong baby to the fire. Azucena getting caught and Manrico's failed rescue attempt. Count killing his own brother. What more is there to go wrong?

Reactions: Jorge Hereth

· Registered
509 Posts
10. La Gioconda. Tu volesti mio corpo, demon maledetto, e il corpo ti do (you wanted my body, accursed devil, and my body I give you), as she stabs herself in front of Barnaba.

Mind you, you need a Callas to give it real conviction.
Same for me. Pretty much the ultimate operatic middle finger.

Reactions: Tsaraslondon

· Registered
509 Posts
17. Lady Macbeth and Iago.

Though I shudder to think what the two might get up to if they joined forces...
But then again Lady Macbeth couldn't live with what she did. Iago surely could. So when you think about it more perhaps not that great match after all. I think Lady Macbeth is too soft for Iago. I think we would need someone even more ruthless.

Reactions: DavidA
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.