Classical Music Forum banner
361 - 377 of 377 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
29. To Ben Heppner. You've a great voice Ben but don't,ay Florestan on stage. No-one will ever believe you've been starving!
Cruel, but I can't say I disagree.

29. To many modern stage producers/directors. Read that [email protected]#$in' libretto sometimes, will you? :)

P.S. The more I watch new opera productions, the more I become a fan of concert performances.
Also very true!

· Registered
2,235 Posts
I believe you are aware there was an alternative ending: Carlo stabs himself, which makes more sense than traditional Finale. Actually, I even saw this alternative ending performed live in an opera house. And it does not disappoint (well, obviously, you want to enjoy a perfect bloody evening since you went to watch a Verdi opera!)

Coincidentally, we are voting (in the other thread) for the best recording of the second opera from Il Trittico, so I would say that Il Tabarro has disappointing ending since it does not resolve the main conflict between Michele and his wife.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
I believe you are aware there was an alternative ending: Carlo stabs himself, which makes more sense than traditional Finale. Actually, I even saw this alternative ending performed live in an opera house. And it does not disappoint (well, obviously, you want to enjoy a perfect bloody evening since you went to watch a Verdi opera!)

Coincidentally, we are voting (in the other thread) for the best recording of the second opera from Il Trittico, so I would say that Il Tabarro has disappointing ending since it does not resolve the main conflict between Michele and his wife.
I have always equated Il Tabarro with The Postman Always Rings Twice.
(what OTHER thread??)

· Registered
139 Posts
Turandot. It's really a disappointment that Puccini couldn't finish the opera--as it is, with the crappy ending that I inevitably skip when I'm listening to a recording, I still consider this his masterpiece.
Some productions I've seen make me feel I'm watching a Disney movie at the end. I did see it in Barcelona a few years ago with Maria Guleghina. At the end she stepped away from the crowd and in the final seconds stabbed herself. An interesting alternative..

· Registered
1,515 Posts
Some productions I've seen make me feel I'm watching a Disney movie at the end. I did see it in Barcelona a few years ago with Maria Guleghina. At the end she stepped away from the crowd and in the final seconds stabbed herself. An interesting alternative..
It's not really the narrative that bothers me (although it's certainly underwritten and unconvincing), it's the bombastic and emotionally inconsistent music used for the last scene. Just awful stuff, even the reused existing musical material is made coarser and more banal in the finale, so the finale not only lacks invention but degrades the invention that had already been presented. Terrible.

· Registered
139 Posts
It's not really the narrative that bothers me (although it's certainly underwritten and unconvincing), it's the bombastic and emotionally inconsistent music used for the last scene. Just awful stuff, even the reused existing musical material is made coarser and more banal in the finale, so the finale not only lacks invention but degrades the invention that had already been presented. Terrible.
Yes I get you. I should have clarified that that I don't like what I am hearing as well as seeing. The overblown repetition of the early Act 3 music is like the rousing "showstopper" repeat at the end of a musical.

361 - 377 of 377 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.