Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
The List So Far... 64 selections - Selection process is over...

Carl Friedrich Abel

Johann Georg Albrechtsberger

Thomas Arne

Franz Joseph Aumann

Charles Avison

C.P.E. Bach

Johann Christian Bach

Wilhelm Friedemann Bach

Carlos Baguer

Franz Ignaz Beck

Franz Ignaz von Beecke

Franz Berwald

Luigi Boccherini

William Boyce

Antonio Casimir Cartellieri

Luigi Cherubini

Muzio Clementi

Armand-Louis Couperin

Carl Czerny

Franz Danzi

Anton Diabelli

Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf

Jacques Duphly

Jan Ladislav Dussek

Anton Eberl

Baldassare Galuppi

Christoph Willibald Gluck

François Joseph Gossec

Adalbert Gyrowetz

Johann Adolph Hasse

Joseph Haydn

Michael Haydn

William Herschel

Niccolò Jommelli

Leopold Koželuch

Joseph Martin Kraus

Franz Krommer

Friedrich Kuhlau

Andrea Luca

Etienne Nicolas Mehul

Leopold Mozart

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Josef Mysliveček

Sigismund von Neukomm

George Onslow

Vaclav Pichl

Johann Peter Pixis

Joseph Ignaz Pleyel

Anton Reicha

Johann Friedrich Reichardt

Franz Xaver Richter

Ferdinand Ries

Francesco Antonio Rosetti

Antonio Salieri

Giovanni Battista Sammartini

Antonio Soler

Fernando Sor

Carl Stamitz

Johann Stamitz

John Stanley

Giovanni Battista Viotti

Jan Vaclav Voříšek

Johann Baptist Wanhal

Joseph Woelfl

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
47 selections as of this post - In order to play 4 games of 16 we need to reach 64 - leaving us with room for 17 more - Again, if you're selection comes down to a "composer that no one has ever heard of and who will receive zero points and finish in last place" or a "composer who is actually going to be competitive" - go with "competitive - We're kind of top-heavy on "obscurity" - so play it safe from this point forward and quit showing off - ;)
I think we've got all of the big names at this point. I suspect the composers that will be in the top 10 at the end of the game have already been nominated. If you don't want any more obscure composers maybe you should cut off nominations now. I have a few more I'd like to add, but I doubt they will change the outcome game much (Czerny, Albrechtsberger, Danzi, Diabelli).

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
We have 54 selections as of this post and if we can reach 64, we can play 4 games of 16 which means we need 10 more and I'll be able to shut down the selection process and get the Classical Era thread prepared.

I'll add Czerny, Albrechtsberger, Danzi, and Diabelli to the list courtesy of SuperTonic.

I'll also add Art Rock's 3 which will bring us up to 54 with only 10 slots remaining.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
If you can't get 10 more, 56 (or 60) is also a perfectly cromulent number for a game.
We have 54 - I'll let the thread run for the rest of the day and shut it down with a hard max of 64 - The Romantic Era final will begin either today or tomorrow and once that's done, I'll be able to post Game 1 of the 4 game Classical Era series.

My profound thanks to all of you who have answered the call and responded with your selections - The list has been strengthened considerably with these last selections.

10 more and we're done...

It's important that we not overlook anyone of importance who should be on the list and isn't and so I would appreciate anyone being willing go through the lists to see if a composer who should be here but isn't will then be made a selection before playing anyone else.

https://www.mfiles.co.uk/infographics/classical-period-composer-timelines.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_composers_by_era#Classical_era

·
Super Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
32,513 Posts
Judged important enough to get their own CD in the Chandos Contemporaries of Mozart series

Carlos Baguer
François Joseph Gossec
Adalbert Gyrowetz
William Herschel
Vaclav Pichl
Joseph Ignaz Pleyel

and probably some more here (running out of time):

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Judged important enough to get their own CD in the Chandos Contemporaries of Mozart series

Carlos Baguer
François Joseph Gossec
Adalbert Gyrowetz
William Herschel
Vaclav Pichl
Joseph Ignaz Pleyel

and probably some more here (running out of time):

By adding these 6 we'll have reached 64.

The selection process is now officially closed - My profound thanks to everyone who participated - Without your tireless efforts this list would not have existed in its current form.

The "Great Composers" - The Romantic Era - Final will appear on Friday, September 9th - I hope that you will join us as we conclude this series.

As soon as the Romantic era final is over, the "Great Composers" - The Classical Era series of games will appear.

Again, you have my thanks!

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
I was going to recommend the 18th century's most popular opera composer, Giovanni Paisiello (in addition to some others) today, but the selection process is over. Il Barbiere di Siviglia is chock full of hilarious tunes, btw.
Haydn started it all off with his wonderful Symphonies and String Quartets.
Not really. Have a look at Do critics really matter? Famous chief music critics / Common myths, slogans, anecdotes, rumours and statements / Common myths, slogans, anecdotes, rumours and statements

41 - 51 of 51 Posts