Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Rectangle Electric blue Symbol Logo

Welcome to "The Great Composers" - The Classical Era - Semi-Finals - Game 3 of 4

The decision to use the word "Great" rather than "Greatest" was intentional - We are attempting to express the perception of "greatness" within a multiplicity rather than identified and represented by an individual - The intended concept is an attempt to identify and judge those composers who have elevated craftmanship into timeless artistry.

The Format -

Five separate groups numbered 1 through 4, each of which contains 16 composers, competing in Semi-Final rounds with the top 5 from each - then advancing to a Final of 20 composers.

The Rules -

1.) You may vote once per calendar day.

2.) You have a total of 20 points to distribute per entry with a maximum of 5 per individual composer.

3.) Play will end with the first composer to reach 100 points.

4.) The next 4 highest totals will then move on to the Final

Note: You are welcome to comment upon any and all aspects of this competition provided such commentary is directed to this thread -

This particular thread is reserved exclusively for game play.

Allow me to once again welcome you, to thank you for your participation, and to wish your favored composers the very best of luck during the course of these competitions.

Game 3 of 4 -

William Herschel

Niccolò Jommelli

Leopold Koželuch

Joseph Martin Kraus

Franz Krommer

Friedrich Kuhlau

Andrea Luca Luchesi

Etienne Nicolas Mehul

Leopold Mozart

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Josef Mysliveček

Sigismund von Neukomm

George Onslow

Vaclav Pichl

Johann Peter Pixis

Joseph Ignaz Pleyel

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
20 Points Max per Entry - 5 Points Max per Composer

William Herschel - 2 (+2)
Niccolò Jommelli - 2 (+2)
Leopold Koželuch - 2 (+2)
Joseph Martin Kraus - 2 (+2)

Franz Krommer - 0
Friedrich Kuhlau - 0
Andrea Luca Luchesi - 0
Etienne Nicolas Mehul - 2 (+2)

Leopold Mozart - 0
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - 4 (+4)
Josef Mysliveček - 3 (+3)
Sigismund von Neukomm - 0

George Onslow - 0
Vaclav Pichl - 0
Johann Peter Pixis - 0
Joseph Ignaz Pleyel - 3 (+3)

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

William Herschel - 5
Niccolò Jommelli - 20 (+3)
Leopold Koželuch - 14
Joseph Martin Kraus - 20 (+3)

Franz Krommer - 25
Friedrich Kuhlau - 15 (+2)
Andrea Luca Luchesi - 5
Etienne Nicolas Mehul - 10 (+2)

Leopold Mozart - 0
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - 55 (+1)
Josef Mysliveček - 19 (+4)
Sigismund von Neukomm - 19

George Onslow - 28
Vaclav Pichl - 0
Johann Peter Pixis - 2
Joseph Ignaz Pleyel - 19 (+5)

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
New page - Revised board with point totals in descending order - Reminder - The top 5 composers move on to the Final...

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - 70
George Onslow - 38
Joseph Martin Kraus - 30
Franz Krommer - 27

Joseph Ignaz Pleyel - 24
Leopold Koželuch - 22
Sigismund von Neukomm - 22
Josef Mysliveček - 21

Niccolò Jommelli - 20
Friedrich Kuhlau - 20
Étienne Nicolas Méhul - 10
William Herschel - 5

Andrea Luca Luchesi - 5
Johann Peter Pixis - 2
Leopold Mozart - 0
Vaclav Pichl - 0

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And so ends Game 3 of the 4 game "The Great Composers" - The Classical Era - Semi-Finals...

with the following five composers moving on to the Final -

In alphabetical order -

Leopold Koželuch

Joseph Martin Kraus

Franz Krommer

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

George Onslow

Game 4 of the Semi-Finals will appear shortly...

As always, my thanks to all of the players who participated - Hope that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and will continue on with the rest of the series.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Game 4 will be up momentarily - And the Classical Era Final will follow - These games are lasting about 18 hours from start to finish and so, in order to be able to keep the game-play in motion without a break, I will be starting both the "Baroque Era" and "Medieval & Renaissance Era" selection threads simultaneously.

I don't envision the Baroque or M & R games to exceed two sets of 16 to 20 composers followed by a single Final.

Once the Medieval & Renaissance games are completed, it will be time to then move on to the "Great Composers - All-Eras All-Star Edition" - I changed the initial format of this next series of games - It will include all 45 composers who made the Semi-Final rounds of the 20th and 21st Century Era series of games, all 30 of the composers who made the Semi-Final rounds of the Romantic Era, the 20 composers who will appear in the Classical Era Final, the 15 to 20 who will appear in the Baroque Era and finally, the 15 to 20 who will appear in the Medieval & Renaissance Eras for a rough total of 125 to 135 composers If I can find an equitable way to add additional names to reach 144 composers, we can play 9 Quarter-Final games of 16 with the top 6 finishers from each totaling 54 broken into 3 Semi-Final games of 18 and a single All-Eras All-Star Game Final of 18. There may be a selection thread if we need to add 15 to 20 more composers with each player being able to name one composer who didn't advance past the various Quarter-Final games.

I'm going to have to give some serious thought to changing the total point max count to 10 from the current 20 as there are now roughly twice as many players as there were when the Great Violinists, Pianists, and Instrumentalists games were being played. If I didn't utilize the 20 point max on those games, we would probably still be playing them six months later.

I'm also going to give thought to increasing the point total needed to end the game from 100 to 150.

There is likely to be a hiatus between the end of the Medieval & Renaissance Final and the start of the "All-Eras All-Star Edition" - I don't know the specifics yet and don't wish to speculate at this point.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Maybe it was explained and I missed it, but why isn't Haydn on this list?

V
This era was split into four separate games with 16 composers per - What you're looking at is game three - The composers are listed alphabetically - Haydn finished first in game 2 and will be one of 5 from this section that moves on to the Final -

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Aha, that's what I get for coming so late to the game. Understood. Ty sir!

V
Stick around for the Classical Era Final which should be appearing within a day or so as soon as the fourth game is finished - In the meantime, join in and play the fourth game which can be found here -

Quick tips - always make sure you're on the last page of the thread with the last post directly above yours - Look to either the bottom right or top right to ensure that you're on the last page.

Copy and paste the board above yours in its entirety including the lines - 20 Points Max per Entry - 5 Points Max per Composer - which, contrary to what you may see, is not optional.

First, delete whatever you see in parentheses - (+5) - (+3) (+5) etc.

You have 20 points to use - No composer can receive more than 5 - Allocate your points by placing them next to the total point number next to the composer's name using the same method (+5) (+4) (+1) etc.

Add your points to the composer totals - Check your math - Trust me on that one - Everyone makes mistakes - Even me... especially me.

Before actually playing, go back 3 or 4 posts and try to see what each player has done as they've played their board.

You have to actually copy and paste the previous board - Don't use "Reply" as a means to play - Your post will be tossed - with a rather curt "Declined" - in boldface type - which is done intentionally.

And on behalf of the rest of the players and myself - Welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts