Classical Music Forum banner

The Greatest/Your Favorite Impressionism Composer(s)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Banned
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carrying on from the great Romantic tradition, "... impressionism in music was a movement among various composers in Western classical music, mainly during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, whose music focuses on suggestion and atmosphere, "conveying the moods and emotions aroused by the subject rather than a detailed tone‐picture"."

Debussy, Ravel are of course two great names, writing beautiful melodies, emotional and accessible notes that make any listener swooooon. :)

Who are your favorite/you think greatest impressionist composers?

· Banned
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I voted Debussy and Ravel.

· Banned
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is truely, what can I say, but purity of music .... :)

· Registered
1,954 Posts
A label applied externally from music for what always seem to me to be extra-musical reasons. Famously, Debussy renounced the term. Of the rather odd and incoherent collection you list I like Debussy and Ravel the best because they are the best of those composers

G

·
I also agree with Ravel and Debussy, but I have to add Falla to my choices for "Nights in the Gardens of Spain". It's an amazing and evocative piece that everyone should experience.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
Carrying on from the great Romantic tradition, "... impressionism in music was a movement among various composers in Western classical music, mainly during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, whose music focuses on suggestion and atmosphere, "conveying the moods and emotions aroused by the subject rather than a detailed tone‐picture"."

Debussy, Ravel are of course two great names, writing beautiful melodies, emotional and accessible notes that make any listener swooooon. :)

Who are your favorite/you think greatest impressionist composers?
How is 20th centrury French impressionist music different from what French baroque and classical composers were doing - D'Anglebert, Chambonniers, Rameau, Francois Couperin, Pancrace Royer . . . ? Obviously there were harmonic difference, but in terms of aims, vision? Is Louis Couperin's Tombeau de Blancrocher an impressionist piece?

Is Messiaen an impressionist composer? impressions of landscapes in the catalogue d'oiseaux? When Elliott Carter wrote Night Fantasies, was he writing a throwback to 20th century impressionism? Is Finnissy an impressionist composer?

· Registered
9,759 Posts
I voted all of them, as usual.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
Wagner was also, along with Brahms, one of Schoenberg's greatest influences.

Delius was a modernist like the rest of them, and anyone else who did away with common practice tonality.
Your way of thinking is all about harmony as far as I can see. But impressionism wasn't about harmony, was it? It was an idea about the aims of the music. You can write impressionist music which used common practice ideas - an example would be Chopin's Barcarolle.

By the way, the Debussy etude that you cited may not be an example of impressionist music at all (I know you don't claim it is but . . . )

· Registered
4,422 Posts
Wagner was also, along with Brahms, one of Schoenberg's greatest influences.

Delius was a modernist like the rest of them, and anyone else who did away with common practice tonality.
so does it means that Wagner or Liszt weren't romantic composers?
I mean, I would not take the label "impressionist" too much seriously. If it's convenient to indicate composers with a certain approach to harmony, fine; but that doesn't mean that if a composer is labeled "impressionist" his music could not be romantic. In fact the music of Delius has certain aspects o impressionism but is also very romantic like Wagner.
By the way, Delius didn't like Debussy and as you probably know Debussy didn't like the label "impressionist" applied to him.

· Registered
12,431 Posts
so does it means that Wagner or Liszt weren't romantic composers?
I mean, I would not take the label "impressionist" too much seriously. If it's convenient to indicate composers with a certain approach to harmony, fine; but that doesn't mean that if a composer is labeled "impressionist" his music could not be romantic. In fact the music of Delius has certain aspects o impressionism but is also very romantic like Wagner.
By the way, Delius didn't like Debussy and as you probably know Debussy didn't like the label "impressionist" applied to him.
No, I meant that having a romantic composer such as Wagner or Brahms as your main influence does not make you not a modernist.

What do you mean by romantic in this case?

Yes, Debussy disliked the term impressionism as applied to his music, and much more closely allied himself with the symbolist movement in literature and poetry.

· Banned
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Impressionism was a modernist trend, not a romantic one at all. And Debussy's and Ravel's music, far from accessible, were considered the height of cacophony (along with Strauss) at the time.
I disagree, it's rooted in Romanticism but with beginnings of early (very early) outlook towards modernism.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.