Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got back from Steve Hackett/Djabe. the free live concert took place in the Main Square of Óbuda (Budapest), lasted well over 2 hours.

Gulli Briem was the guest drummer.

Crowd Building Public space Chair T-shirt
Musical instrument Musician Purple Public address system Concert
Concert Membranophone Musical instrument Entertainment Purple

this was my first non-classical concert after about 40 classical performances (mainly operas).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Saw Cynic on 8/12 at the El Rey theater in LA.

Great performance by this world class technical prog-metal band. One of the originators of the genre.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Last year sometime, Ian Anderson performing Thick as a Brick and Thick as a Brick II at The Ryman Auditorium, Nashville. Fantastic show! The new band which is thankfully not called Jethro Tull has an amazing warm retro sound. Ian's voice is nearly back to the rich baritone it used to be, and the style is a triumphant return to form.

Shortly before that it was Dead Can Dance in the same venue, and before that The Moody Blues somewhere in Knoxville. All were great shows.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I saw Mott The Hoople play at Hammersmith Apollo in 2009 - this was one reformation I didn't expect as Ian Hunter had always pooh-poohed any reunion unless original guitarist Mick Ralphs was on board (who was similarly non-committal due mainly to his on-off commitment to Bad Company). Anyway, they were in fine form bearing in mind this particular line-up hadn't played together since 1972. Ian Hunter remarked ahead of the shows that this time he wanted to do it 'out of curiosity to see what it would be like', but I suspect that it may have been to raise money for their drummer, Dale Griffin, who has been increasingly incapacitated by Alzheimer's - quite sad bearing in mind he was both the keeper of the Mott flame and the youngest member of the band. They played again in 2013 but sadly it seems that Ian Hunter's voice is seriously going (he is 75, after all...).

Apart from that, I don't go to rock concerts any more - virtually anyone who I would see are either well past it or no longer active, but I would consider the Kinks if it definitely happens.

Reactions: Casebearer

·
Senior Member (Ret)
865 Posts
Last February I got to see John Abercrombie at Yoshi's in Oakland (one of my favorite venues). He mainly did works from his recent 39 Steps (ECM, 2013).

I also got to see The National in April. They performed works from across their career, including from their recent Trouble Will Find Me (2013), High Violet (2010) and Boxer (2007)

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Too bad Yoshi's is dropping the ball on live jazz. Not that I would ever make it there living in upstate New York.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
My most recent non-classical concert was Steve Hackett's "Genesis Revisited" tour, which was an enjoyable stroll down memory lane.

Before that was the Punch Brothers. Chris Thile is a ridiculously talented musician & performer. In fact, the whole band is great. But Thile's clearly at the center.

·
Senior Member (Ret)
865 Posts
Too bad Yoshi's is dropping the ball on live jazz. Not that I would ever make it there living in upstate New York.
Yeah, it's sad about Yoshi's scheduling jazz so erratically these days. Fortunately, there is a brand new SF Jazz Hall (Miner Auditorium) in downtown San Francisco right behind Davies Symphony Hall. It's a great venue, and they have quickly filled in the scheduling gap -- or should I say, they've completely taken over things. From traditional to avant-garde. Here's the link:
http://www.sfjazz.org/
In the fall, 2014, for instance, there's Brian Blade, Eliane Elias, Christian McBride, Joshua Redman, Zakir Hussain, Karrin Allyson, Allen Toussaint, Bela Fleck, Milton Nascimento, Jason Marsalis, Ravi Coltrane, Steve Coleman, as well as the SF Jazz Collective. Can't complain about that lineup.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
http://www.sfjazz.org/
In the fall, 2014, for instance, there's Brian Blade, Eliane Elias, Christian McBride, Joshua Redman, Zakir Hussain, Karrin Allyson, Allen Toussaint, Bela Fleck, Milton Nascimento, Jason Marsalis, Ravi Coltrane, Steve Coleman, as well as the SF Jazz Collective. Can't complain about that lineup.
I'd be FLAT BROKE if I lived in San Francisco. They've got all that great jazz. Plus, they've got MTT leading the San Francisco Symphony. Plus, there's Amoeba Records. If I lived there, I'd spend all of my money on music! ;)

It's one of the few places in the USA that can compete with NYC's all-round music scene.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I recently saw YES with their new vocalist Jon Davison. It was actually quite a good concert. They played the complete Fragile and Close To The Edge albums and a couple songs from their latest album with a couple old hits thrown in for good measure. I enjoyed seeing them again and was pleasantly surprised by how good they are to this day. If you have a chance to see them in Australia or Japan I recommend doing so if you are familiar with their music. They are rumoured to be playing Europe in the spring. I wish I could fly over to see them someplace on that tour.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 84 Posts