Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
In the last two years or so I attended concerts of Pere Ubu, Joshua Redman, Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, Ibrahim Maalouf, Branford Marsalis, Tigran Hamasyan, Avishai Cohen (trumpet), Christian McBride, GoGo Penguin, Reverend Shine Snakeoil Company (twice), Tineke Postma, Roy Hargrove, Jeroen van Vliet and several lesser known jazz & improv bands.

Many of them I saw at jazz festivals in The Netherlands. Apart from that I regularly visit smaller concerts in my home town or somewhere else, probably every two or three weeks. Last bands I saw were CNIRBS, Rogier Telderman Trio and VinnieVibes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hey, if you're from Eger you must be Hungarian. Nice region.
I love a lot of Hungarian jazz. As far as jazz guitarists from Hungary are concerned I don't know Attila László but I know Gábor Gadó. Wonderful jazz guitarist. I also know Gábor Csongradi, a young Hungarian jazz guitarist living in Amsterdam. Saw him perform with Daniel Szabo some three or four years ago.
Gadó performs in Budapest as well, will attend a concert. thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
15,445 Posts
Snarky Puppy is coming to town on May 5th and I'd love to see them, but I'm having back surgery on the 2nd, so I'm not gonna make it. The last show I attended was by guitarist Larry Coryell, and he played in a bar right in my neighborhood!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I went to a concert of the Waterland Trio tonight in my home town (also called Waterland Ensemble). They are comprised of three top jazz musicians from The Netherlands: Loek Dikker (composer and pianist), Leo van Oostrom (soprano and altsax) and Pierre Courbois (drums).

I first saw them perform in 1978 or so in my town of birth. I bought their album Domesticated Doomsday Machine and have listenened to it regularly all these years. The ensemble hasn't been together for over 25 years but now they have. Attempts are made to have them do a countrywide program next year. If they're still around. They're all in their seventies now. Still going strong.

The material of the album is not on YouTube so this is from an earlier album Tan Tango (1975), not completely representative of the stuff they played tonight:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Bon Jovi

For having an open stage, they still manage to impress with the lighting effects. Musically, they sound good enough. Jon's voice can't do as much as it used to, but he still sings well, and he is one of the best front men out there. They are promoting the new album very heavily, putting about six songs from it on the set list each night. They are mostly okay, but I can't see any of them rising to iconic status. The best songs they did were "Lay Your Hands On Me," "Bad Medicine," and "Keep the Faith." I'm glad I got to see them in person at least once in my life.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I thought more people might post in this thread during the summer, as more acts are out on the road now.

I saw Foreigner last week, and they put on a killer show. Everything came from their first five albums, and it was all hits and fan favorites. They sounded especially good on "Jukebox Hero" and "Urgent." I would prefer that the stage banter not include f-bombs, but other than that, it was a performance I could recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Musical instrument Membranophone Musician Purple Drum

Blackrose' Night (Eger, Hungary)
yes, it's a Blackmore's Night tribute band. they have a female violinist as well who wasn't present. the girl at the keyboards went off after 3 songs, so it wasn't a long concert.

·
Registered
15,445 Posts

Caught them on September 6th in Ithaca, NY. They're playing great, and the band members are friendly blokes who hung around after the show and talked with their fans.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
it's a small town (compared to Miskolc), no events here (classical or non-classical).
Sorry to hear that. Eger's not that small but you probably need a town the size of Miskolc to find some real cultural activity. I go to Nijmegen which is nearby, has a lot of cultural activity and is about the same size as Miskolc.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Sunday, December 3rd: Trans-Siberian Orchestra (matinee)

The stage production (especially the video work) and talent involved in the show is amazing. I'd recommend seeing them at least once, especially if you love concert stage effects and their music.

That said, they do have a little bit of a "more is more" philosophy. If they used a little more restraint and design, their effects would have even more pop than they already do. The singers, too, tend to embellish the tunes too much. A prime example is "O Come All Ye Faithful." It would have been better to me to just have that sung in the standard style but still with power and feeling.

It's a little weird to have a music group trying to appeal to the generally older symphony/Christmas pops crowd and those who love rock/metal at the same time. The audience at my show stayed seated the entire time except when asked to stand during "This Christmas Day" and spontaneously during the final moments of the reprise of "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)."

Highlights: "The Mountain" (based on Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King), "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" (the first time), "This Christmas Day"

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Caught them on September 6th in Ithaca, NY. They're playing great, and the band members are friendly blokes who hung around after the show and talked with their fans.
I caught them in LA a few weeks ago!

Thought that they were quite amazing.

I saw them back in the 70's, and this current tour and lineup is extremely close to the quality of the early band.

I forgot just how great of a bass player Percy Jones is.

Reactions: starthrower

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
And these were the one before
brilliant live and a great sound

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
After being a great fan of Elbow since before they were famous, I finally got to see them earlier this year at the beautiful Usher Hall in Edinburgh. It was a wonderful show, Guy Garvey not only has a great voice, he's completely unspoilt by fame and has a terrific rapport with the audience. A really great night, worth the wait. :)

Here's Guy with the excellent John Grant

41 - 60 of 84 Posts