Classical Music Forum banner

Which?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I usually like Handel and I really enjoy some numbers from Messiah, but it doesn't work as a whole to me. Mass in B minor I find better in this respect (which is strange, given that the movements were basically assembled from very diverse sketches and fragments).

Best regards, Dr

Reactions: scratchgolf

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
I just love the Messiah because there are so many belters, and hearing it at Norwich Cathedral last Christmas was such a glorious & moving experience. I'm quite ready to concede that Bach's may be the more profound in musical terms.

·
Registered
18,973 Posts
F. J. Haydn's Harmony mass deserves to be up there in terms of some of the greatest sacred works ever, imo. So does J. M. Haydn's Requiem in C minor.
Except that it's not part of the thread title. :D

Haydn's masses are pithier than any choral work Bach or Handel wrote, so you know I'm a fan.

Hey Bach! Hey Handel!! Keep it pithy!! You think all I have to do is sit around all day for hours to listen???

I will now listen to Haydn's 40 minute Harmony Mass.:tiphat:

·
Premium Member
16,612 Posts
I think the B minor mass hits me more directly than the Messiah. Handel's work is a presentation of a narrative with word painting, but the B minor mass is a more personal experience that starts in a humble petition and leads to the throne of God.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Handel's Messiah tops all other works for me because not only is it musically wonderful, but also it is the Word of God explaining God's plan of salvation for the world.

·
Banned
7,952 Posts
Fro starters Bach took a decade to put the B minor mass together, as he had no (single) performance of it in mind.

Whereas Handel wrote the Messiah in three weeks .... should I say more?

I love them both

Reactions: Ingélou

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Some composers tortured themselves when composing, like Brahms. Others churned out music very quickly like Mozart. Both great. Proves nothing.

There are passionate advocates for each of these great pieces. I prefer the Handel. Again. Proves nothing.
Very much agreed, hpowders; application of time does not make a work great--let alone a composer. Since judicious people may disagree on whether or not a work is great, and applying such a criterion presupposes that determination... Well, we know the rest. :sleep:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Voted for the Mass. I wonder why almost everyone has heard of Handel's Messiah but I get a blank stare when I mention Bach's Mass or even Mozart's Requiem Mass.
Because Messiah is programmed annually in hundreds of cities across the world. And one of these days I will finally make it to one of these performances here in Houston. Shame on me for not having done it yet when I've been to so many other classical concerts. Same thing with The Nutcracker. Never seen it live.

·
Registered
18,973 Posts
Very much agreed, hpoweders; application of time does not make a work great--let alone a composer. Since judicious people may disagree on whether or not a work is great, and applying such a criteria presupposes that determination... Well, we know the rest. :sleep:
The Bach and Handel are both very different; both very great and we are lucky to be able to play each whenever we want in as many interpretations as we want. Does it get any better than that? :)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The Bach and Handel are both very different; both very great and we are lucky to be able to play each whenever we want in as many interpretations as we want. Does it get any better than that? :)
It gets no better than that! Thank goodness we can enjoy both our Bach and our Handel without interference. :)

[And drat! You quoted me before I could scramble to fix my two typos. I need faster reflexes! Or I need the patience to proofread my own posts before hitting that fateful "Post Quick Reply" button.]

·
Registered
18,973 Posts
It gets no better than that! Thank goodness we can enjoy both our Bach and our Handel without interference. :)

[And drat! You quoted me before I could scramble to fix my two typos. I need faster reflexes! Or I need the patience to proofread my own posts before hitting that fateful "Post Quick Reply" button.]
Oh. Sorry! Stuff like that doesn't bother me. It's the other "names" they call me that bothers me!! :lol:

I would go out on a limb that among the general public it's Handel's Messiah that's more popular. That's most likely because many folks who have a casual interest in serious music probably never even heard of Bach's b minor mass.

·
Banned
7,952 Posts
Voted for the Mass. I wonder why almost everyone has heard of Handel's Messiah but I get a blank stare when I mention Bach's Mass or even Mozart's Requiem Mass.
That explains why Handel's Messiah NEVER was fogotten ever since it was first performed (mind you, it wasn't that popular with London audiences at first). It stayed in the repertoire ever since. Great works speak for itself.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I voted for the B minor mass because it is simply one of the most profound artifices of human expression I have ever heard.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.