Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
563 Posts
So I was reading a biography of da Vinci and although it was enjoyable, I found the constant appeal to greatness to be quite insufferable. It's not just a thing with classical music, it's ubiquitous.

Why though? Is it just human nature, or is it cultural? When I was visiting Thailand a few weeks ago, the way some of the monks spoke about the attainment of enlightenment certainly reeked of the same stench.

I possessed this kind of ridiculous attitude when I was 16, but at 23 I already find it remarkably ignorant and cringeworthy.
it's interesting that people are so offended by the idea of greatness. why is that?

· Registered
563 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm offended by it; quite the opposite actually. I just find it quite dull and uninspired. It smushes the qualia of everything onto a single number line, how ridiculous
It's just about recognizing what people have done and achieved.

Great men have existed in history, and they have done great things. There are people who possess great talents, abilities and gifts. Some maybe greatly gifted in one area and another in a different area.

Isn't it duller if everybody is exactly the same? Isn't mediocrity duller?

We should celebrate those who are great in their field.

· Registered
563 Posts
You don't need a notion of greatness to appreciate achievements and the individuals responsible for them, nor does it arise as a consequence.

Also the lack of greatness does not imply mediocrity whatsoever, mediocrity is also a myth.
so, if greatness is a myth and mediocrity is a myth how do you measure anything?

Can an average (mediocre) pianist be a professional pianist?

Also, you need to change your name lol

· Registered
563 Posts
Assessing and discussing the relative quality of things is a hardwired biological imperative courtesy of evolution, for navigating and making sense of the world. If you can't judge why the taste of berries is preferable to cow dung in a psychosis of misguided egalitarianism, you die.

To rage against to concept of greatness is to defy the reality of hierarchies in nature, which is what patterns out order and gives us salvation from chaos. Then it must be said: to not admire Beethoven as great is not merely tasteless, but anti-nature, anti-life... evil.
I agree.

Although there's no such thing as evil if evolution is true.

· Registered
563 Posts
at the risk of being banned, I just want to point out that evolution and religion are not mutually exclusive. I'm Catholic and I dont believe God put the dinosaur bones in the ground to test our faith.

just sayin...please go on with your debate
I won't be debating, as you said I'll get told off!

All people need to do is think about it a little and be open.

I don't know any Christian who believes "God put the dinosaur bones in the ground to test our faith" :LOL:

A Catholic is not a Christian :) private message me if you liked to argue ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts