• Tríona Ni Dhomhnaill: Clavinet, Harmonium & Vocals
    • Kevin Burke: Fiddle
    • Matt Molloy: Flute & Whistle
    • Mícheál Ó Domhnaill: Guitar & Vocals

·
Super Moderator
30,595 Posts

Bent Knee: Say So (2016)

First spin of their third studio album. As with the brilliant preceding Shiny Eyed Babies, the stupendous voice of Courtney Swain grabs your attention, but there is a lot going on in these songs beyond that. Of course, more spins are required to properly assess the album.

·
Premium Member
11,270 Posts
Prince - Around the World in a Day. Seventh album, released 1985.

Usually gets a bit of a rough critical ride compared to other 80s albums such as 1999, Purple Rain and Sign o' the Times, but this is still one of my favourites from Prince's prolific peak period.

Reactions: fbjim

·
Registered
Vivaldi, "Viola d'amore Concerto in A Minor, RV 397: I. Vivace"
10 Posts
Prince - Around the World in a Day. Seventh album, released 1985.

Usually gets a bit of a rough critical ride compared to other 80s albums such as 1999, Purple Rain and Sign o' the Times, but this is still one of my favourites from Prince's prolific peak period.

Good choice! Yes, it's not as interesting as Parade or SotT but it still has a couple bona fide pop classics on it -- I'm a fan.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
We had a staff meeting in the morning and then dismissed at 11 am. Now I'm free for the summer. I came home and listened to these albums.

Camel Moonmadness (March 1976)

Genesis Wind and Wuthering (December 1976)

Led Zeppelin Presence (March 1976)

Queen A Night at the Opera (December 1976)

Jon Anderson Olias of Sunhillow (July 1976)

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,330 Posts
I'm thinking, "Well, that looks and sounds interesting . . . 'Trust The Insect' is an inticing name whether it's the name of the band, or the album, or both."

LOL. Trust The Insect.

Youtubed it only to find they're The Insect Trust. I'm crestfallen.
So start your very own forum "garage band" called "Trust The Insect"... Just watch... a year from now it will be "Piano Zach and Trust The Insect" - A year after that, he leaves the band and becomes "Piano Zach"...A year after that, a press release announces that Piano Zach will now be known as "The Artist Formerly Known as Piano Zach".

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,330 Posts

The Bothy Band: Out Of The Wind Into The Sun - 1977

• Musicians
    • Paddy Keenan: Pipes, Low Whistle, Whistle, Bb Chanter
    • Matt Molloy: Flute, Whistle
    • Tríona Ni Dhomhnaill: Vocals, Clavinet, Harmonium, Electric Piano
    • Dónal Lunny: Bouzouki, Guitar, Bodhrán & Synthesizer
    • Mícheál Ó Domhnaill: Guitar

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,330 Posts
That set - The Bootleg Series Vol. 15: Travelin' Thru, 1967–1969 - greatly exceeded my expectations.

"The compilation focuses on recordings Dylan made between October 1967 and May 1970 for his albums John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline, and appearances on The Johnny Cash Show and special Earl Scruggs: His Family and Friends."

This YouTube page links to a couple of the tunes which appeared on the Cash show -

and a tune with Earl Scruggs -

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
That set - The Bootleg Series Vol. 15: Travelin' Thru, 1967–1969 - greatly exceeded my expectations.
This one and Another Self Portrait cover my favorite Dylan period, i.e. the three records after his motorcycle accident and self-imposed break from the scene. John Wesley Harding is my favorite Dylan album, but Nashville Skyline and the bootleg tracks from Self Portrait are close behind.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
"Lead Belly: The Smithsonian Folkways Collection, the first career-spanning box set dedicated to the American music icon, is a 5 CD, 140-page, large-format book featuring 5 hours of music with 16 unreleased tracks.

Lead Belly is “the hard name of a harder man,” said Woody Guthrie of his friend and fellow American music icon who was born Huddie Ledbetter (c. 1888–1949). From the swamplands of Louisiana, the prisons of Texas, and the streets of New York City, Lead Belly and his music became cornerstones of American folk music and touchstones of African American cultural legacy." (Folkways)

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Music Down Home: An Introduction to Negro Folk Music, U.S.A.

This 1965 recording traces the evolution of African American folk music from the South.The oral tradition of folk music in the African American community has demonstrated a perseverance through the eras of slavery and segregation while embracing and influencing American popular music through songs, lyrics and performance. (Folkways)

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,330 Posts

The Bothy Band: Afterhours - 1979

• Musicians
    • Paddy Keenan: Uilleann Pipes, Whistle
    • Matt Molloy: Flute
    • Dónal Lunny: Vocals, Bouzouki, Guitar, Bodhrán
    • Mícheál Ó Domhnaill: Vocals, Guitar, Harmonium, Organ
    • Tríona Ni Dhomhnaill: Vocals, Clavinet, Harmonium, Bodhrán