Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
Nobody pays them for symphonies, also what is the value of a symphony today? It's an outdated genre, let's face it.
On the other hand, concertos are still quite popular I think, at least for established composers - possibly commissioned by famous soloists. But indeed, I have the feeling (maybe wrong) that contemporary composers may focus more on chamber and solo music, which would be easier to get performed.

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
I can imagine that there are loads of less famous musicians out there that play instruments for which there is not a wealth of solo music available (even 'established' instruments like horn or clarinet, but also e.g. marimba, accordion, etc) - do they approach composers to increase their repertoire and get a win-win situation?

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
The reality of life for contemporary composers
Just reminding people of the thread title. Part of that reality is that there is a large group of classical music listeners that rejects most contemporary classical music. As it obviously affects these composers, there is validity in stating this observation in this thread, even though I'm sure it is not news to the contemporary composers or to those listeners who are interested in their works.

The point has been made in this thread. Can we now continue the discussion without repeating it?

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
The gist of the subject can be found in posts 3-5, but they were triggered by the first post (as stated in the OP of this thread, I lifted these out of another thread). I came up with a title that I thought fitted these posts. Basically all of the above as suggested by you.

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
This thread has already veered so far off-topic that I'm just going with the flow until it gets closed.
I get the feeling that the original subject has probably been discussed sufficiently, so no need to stop derailing off-topic discussions. As always in cases like this, I wonder though why people who are keen on discussing something not related to the thread do not simply open a new thread for that new subject. Other people might be interested in the discussion, and are not aware of its existence, buried in a thread with a different title. For instance, a thread comparing various board games would be very good Community Forum material.

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
The thread has been moved to the Politics and Religion in Classical Music sub-forum to allow discussion of politics, but ONLY in direct relationship to music.

Also, the topic of this thread is The reality of life for contemporary composers - so please stick to that subject in the discussion.

Some posts of the last day or so may still be removed once we get to them.

·
Super Moderator
30,660 Posts
Often google search and this forum is my only recourse to diving into contemporary classical music.

Would you be willing to share some online sources on contemporary classical music that you find to be helpful?
One and a half years ago I ran a game about compositions from the current century. The participants nominated 300 candidates. You can find the list here.

For what it's worth (it's a game, not an attempt to get a realistic ranking), this was the top 10:

01 Gubaidulina - Violin Concerto 2 "In Tempus Praesens" (2007)
02 Saariaho - Clarinet Concerto D'om le vrai sens (2010)
03 Sumera - Symphony no. 6 (2000)
04 Abrahamsen - Schnee (2008)
05 Lindberg, M - Clarinet Concerto (2002)
06 Aho - Theremin concerto 'Eight seasons' (2011)
07 Fujikura - prism spectra (2009)
08 Thorvaldsdottir - In the Light of Air (2014)
09 Dusapin - Aufgang (Violin Concerto) (2012)
10 Gubaidulina - Fachwerk (2009)

1 - 10 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.