Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
Many contemporary composers are Gen Y and Gen Z. They live in garrets or with their parents and make music with their mates on zoom. They maybe teach counterpoint and an instrument privately.

For those writing scores (why?) I guess there are competitions . . .

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
So the problem is not their condition or salary, the problem is what people pay them for. Nobody pays them for symphonies, also what is the value of a symphony today? It's an outdated genre, let's face it. Yet there are not really new genres.
Is this a symphony? (I don't know what a symphony is in fact -- but I noticed that it's played by something called a "symphony orchestra")

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
Practically, no works that remind of the 19th century were being composed after that time.
I wonder if anyone agrees with this? If someone would have said it in, say, 1980, I think it would have been quite plausible. But now I'm not so sure.

It's hard for me to give examples given the way the discussion has gone because we're focussing on symphonies, and I don't know much about them really. I could give lots of examples of chamber and solo music and song, at least, I think I could. But, to pick an obvious orchestral example, Rihm's third symphony reminds me of old fashioned classical music, if not 19th century then Mahler. See what you make of it

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
I purposely said, 'Practically no..' rather than 'Absolutely no..'
I understand, you could be right but it's not obvious to me that you are. For an example of a composer other than Rihm, without thinking about it too much, you could listen to Heinz Holliger's settings of poems by Christian Morgenstern.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
The ultra-slow musical narrative also seems disorienting because it is almost impossible to deduce the overall form of the musical course. I have no great need to hear music that disorients me.
Are you disoriented when you look at the stars in the night sky?

I would like to have a thread on form, form in recent music, but I'm not sure whether anyone's able to lead such a discussion -- not me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.