Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great first album! Titled Chicago Transit Authority, the 1969 release of this disk by the band of (then) the same name marked a very early introduction to the musically diverse, rich, fertile decade of the 1970s. At least five killer songs--Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68, Southern California Purple, and here, the Steve Winwood/Jim Miller song I'm a Man, marked the arrival of a major new sound in rock--horns, and total professionalism--of the group after called just Chicago. Winston Churchill said that Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame cannot be relied upon to do even that, much of the time, but the Hall finally inducted Chicago this year, about 20-plus years late, again belatedly lifting itself out of the mire. I guess Chicago were just not cool enough all those years.........

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You're on a bit of a roll these days SM! I've got their first six studio albums and I like them all, especially the first three. After that it was a downward spiral into MOR mush. One of their more unheralded songs is Pete Cetera's What Else Can I Say from Chicago III - it was the second song he wrote for the band (after Where Do We Go From Here from the second album) and it reminds me of top-form Stephen Stills.

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
I hesitate to employ the abused adjective "great" on this forum, but Chicago fits the bill! Like many other bands whose time in history coincided with the growing pains of the music industry, they had the freedom to make the kind of records a true music lover could sink their teeth into for months at a time.

I got on board towards the end of their creative days listening to Chicago VII on 8-track tape through a pair of Koss headphones. The fact they they were able to open this two record set with a whole side of instrumentals is something that will never happen again. As for the rock n roll hall of fame? I couldn't give two farts!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a live version of the song that started it all for me on that first great album: Beginnings. As always, meant to be experienced Loud, perhaps in a car on a spectacular day, going fast on a smooth yet curving country road......

·
Premium Member
16,612 Posts
One of the first rock albums I ever purchased was their Carnegie Hall concert. I bought it for my sister for Christmas, but it was really for me.

Has anyone seen Electra Glide in Blue? Chicago is featured not as musicians but as a bunch of hippies. One of them, I think it's Peter Cetera, gets shot off of a motorcycle by a cop.

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
^^^
Watched that movie once. I didn't remember Chicago, but I'd like to see it again.

Reactions: Manxfeeder

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
See, I told you it does happen sometimes!

Word has it that Jimi Hendrix was keen on working with Chicago's horn section - whether that was for Jimi's unfinished album or some other project I don't know, but had he lived it would have been interesting whatever he had in mind.

Reactions: Strange Magic

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I actually watched this rock-umentary just last week on TV ~ "The Terry Kath Experience: A Daughter's Journey". Made by Michelle Kath, (his only child, who was just 2 years old when her father died), it was very interesting (&, of course, tragic). It's well worth tracking this down if you have any interest at all in Kath & the earlier years of the band. I had forgotten just how damn good Chicago really was in the beginning!

(After we watched this my husband went right to Amazon & ordered the first 3 albums! :guitar:)

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I own the two box sets of their studio albums and most of their live albums and several bootlegs. I admit I prefer their earlier progressive material the most but they are a quality band on almost anything they put out. Their albums are still played by me with some frequency.
Kevin, as the Carnegie Hall set is now so expensive could you please recommend a live recording with good stereo sound from between, say, 1969-1976?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Kevin, as the Carnegie Hall set is now so expensive could you please recommend a live recording with good stereo sound from between, say, 1969-1976?
Well, you are kind of limited. Carnegie Hall is the best, in my opinion, and is worth investing $60 for a copy. However, Live in Japan is a fine recording with a good performance. Live in 75 really captures the band but the recording is not as good as one might like.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
OK, thanks for that.

Reactions: Kevin Pearson

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Big fan. Have most of their albums

Chicago Transit Authority
Chicago
III