Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great first album! Titled Chicago Transit Authority, the 1969 release of this disk by the band of (then) the same name marked a very early introduction to the musically diverse, rich, fertile decade of the 1970s. At least five killer songs--Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68, Southern California Purple, and here, the Steve Winwood/Jim Miller song I'm a Man, marked the arrival of a major new sound in rock--horns, and total professionalism--of the group after called just Chicago. Winston Churchill said that Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame cannot be relied upon to do even that, much of the time, but the Hall finally inducted Chicago this year, about 20-plus years late, again belatedly lifting itself out of the mire. I guess Chicago were just not cool enough all those years.........

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a live version of the song that started it all for me on that first great album: Beginnings. As always, meant to be experienced Loud, perhaps in a car on a spectacular day, going fast on a smooth yet curving country road......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts