Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
^^^^Wikipedia's entry on this song is interesting in that there are cues enough for several cities to reference themselves as the subject of the song--Washington, San Francisco (obvious choice), Cleveland, New York. Bernie Taupin and Peter Wolf, among others, had a hand in creating the song. I never was a Starship fan, but the fact that many critics and mags bashed it, while it won a Grammy and rose high in the charts of many countries, raised the song higher in my estimation :lol:.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In the above thread, I noted that I did not particularly care for the music of Starship, ending my involvement with the whole Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship history at the Great Schism when Kantner and Grace/Thomas went their separate ways. I have since reconsidered my views on the basis of this dynamite concert YouTube video of a 2007 Las Vegas performance of Mickey Thomas' Starship--a recreation of Starship with all-new musicians. Mickey Thomas in 2007 was the only survivng member of the Starship born with the album Freedom at Point Zero. But here he does a great job--as essentially a tribute band--of J. Airplane, J. Starship, and Starship classics, from Somebody to Love to the last of Greatest Hits. Still a great voice. His Grace Slick is Stephanie Calvert, very good, and the entire band clearly knows what they are doing. Craig Chaquico, J. Starship and Starship's guitarist, also is performing material from both groups in smaller venues. I have a very broad bandwidth in popular music and find this sort of Big Sound music much to my liking. These are not the Golden Years of the Airplane and early J. Starship, and we can wring our hands at the lost years and songs. But meanwhile life goes on and, if you are like me, you take your pleasures where and when you can.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,104 Posts
Watched the video - Completely unaware of the band's resurrection - Thought that Stephanie Calvert was a genuine force of nature - great set of pipes, easy on the eyes, superb phrasing, respected Grace Slick's interpretations but managed to find her own unique voice - genuine powerhouse vocals with a considerably wider range, charismatic, easy on the eyes, an almost perfect blending of voices with Mickey Thomas, kind-hearted and good-natured, and oh yeah, easy on the eyes...

And what does she get for 15 years of dedicated professionalism... Fired...

She got Covid, recovered, her doctor advised against the vaccine because of an underlying medical condition, agreed to get tested every day, and to follow all of the other protocols.

Her theory - It was just an excuse to get rid of her -

My theory - She was 15 years older and was carrying a bit of extra weight after childbirth - and thus became expendable... What a shame.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,104 Posts

This one is for Stephanie Calvert who made the mistake of growing old and of having the kind of body that most women have after giving birth...

This Journey tune is an unbelievably difficult song to sing - and she just nails it -

I once drew this song in a karaoke contest and nearly popped my left nut trying to hit that sustained coloratura high note on "night" at the end of the line - "hiding, somewhere in the night".

I came in second... Lost to this dude - bald head with a pony-tail down to the middle of this back - who drew Meatloaf's "I would do anything for love (but I won't do that) which, quite frankly, I could have sung without even warming up.... Two decades later and I'm still bitter...

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Shaughnessy, I am a little surprised and pleasantly so that you both watched the concert video and liked it. I say that because I chose years ago to never deplore another's musical enthusiasms, usually to be disappointed when others spend time and energy telling everybody why they hate something and why. Never could figure out that mindset--suppressed rage?, lack of empathy? Self-aggrandizement? As I have posted before, my bandwidth for what pleases me in music is quite wide. It s refreshing to find that yours is also. :)

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,104 Posts
Never could figure out that mindset--suppressed rage?, lack of empathy? Self-aggrandizement? As I have posted before, my bandwidth for what pleases me in music is quite wide. It s refreshing to find that yours is also. :)
All of the above, Magic, all of the above... Glad to find a kindred spirit.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Continuing with the Starship theme, here is longtime guitarist Craig Chaquico in 2015 still pursuing the ship as it leaves the solar system. Chaquico has as his Grace Slick a blond bombshell named Shae Celine who is a remarkable lookalike for the young Marilyn Monroe of Bus Stop. Celine, like Stephanie Calvert, sings up a storm but gives off a whole different vibe. Here is a medley of tunes that we heard/saw with Thomas and Calvert. Compare and contrast.....

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
4,104 Posts
I wanted to be as fair to Shae Celine as I possibly could and so I looked her up on YouTube and came across this series of videos that she has made with a series of different backing groups -
You may find it interesting to see and hear her in a variety of musical settings.

She's made strides in the 6 or 7 years since she appeared with Craig Chaquico but I think that there are significant differences between her performance and that of Stephanie Calvert.

Calvert found her own unique "voice" early and then reinforced it with professional training to perfect her technique but at the core of her talent lies that unique "voice" - One which allows her to effortlessly express a much wider range of emotions.

She approached her role with Starship much as an actress would - She was faced with having to make a decision about how to assume one of popular music's most iconic roles - that of Grace Slick - She was faced with a choice, to either do a straightforward "impression" which would please most everyone or to be more - to be both an actress and a musician - to do an "interpretation" of that role - One that would do honor and be respectful of a significant legacy and yet would allow her to expand upon that role and thus change "craft" into "art".

Listen to her rip right through "Somebody To Love" - She's just absolutely fearless - almost fierce - in her intensity. Her phrasing, her delivery, her new variations on a well-known time-honored theme are a wonder to behold.

I watched 7 or 8 of Shae Celine's videos ranging from straightforward lead singer with backing band to tier 3 musical theater productions to duets. She's better now than she was then - considerably so - but I'm not entirely convinced that she has found her own unique "voice" or if she ever will. She certainly has the necessary requirements to take on that mid-level lead vocalist role - She has all the tools - I just don't think that she has a tool-box. She does have a powerhouse voice - Stays in tune - and has a fine sense of how to express her physicality onstage. I just don't think that she's really using her own voice - You can clearly hear her influences when you watch the soul tune covers - Aretha Franklin and Chaka Khan in particular - but I can't really hear anything that distinguishes her from any number of other singers. She's doing "impressions" rather than "interpretations".

I don't know if either one of them can actually "act" in the literal sense of being able to be a working actor on or off- Broadway - Calvert definitely has the kind of voice that can hit the back rows - She could effortlessly sing "Let It Go" from "Frozen" for example without keeling over and gasping for air but I can say, with confidence, that Shae Celine just does not have have that kind of big Broadway voice - and wouldn't even be considered for a role as an understudy. When I listened to Celine doing a couple of tunes from "Beehive" a tier 3 level regional stage production held at the "Oregon Cabaret" you can see that once she stops singing she's completely lost never more so than during the interview.

And so.... The final verdict - the victory goes to Stephanie Calvert with Shae Celine receiving an honorable mention.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wanted to be as fair to Shae Celine as I possibly could and so I looked her up on YouTube and came across this series of videos that she has made with a series of different backing groups -
You may find it interesting to see and hear her in a variety of musical settings.

She's made strides in the 6 or 7 years since she appeared with Craig Chaquico but I think that there are significant differences between her performance and that of Stephanie Calvert.

Calvert found her own unique "voice" early and then reinforced it with professional training to perfect her technique but at the core of her talent lies that unique "voice" - One which allows her to effortlessly express a much wider range of emotions.

She approached her role with Starship much as an actress would - She was faced with having to make a decision about how to assume one of popular music's most iconic roles - that of Grace Slick - She was faced with a choice, to either do a straightforward "impression" which would please most everyone or to be more - to be both an actress and a musician - to do an "interpretation" of that role - One that would do honor and be respectful of a significant legacy and yet would allow her to expand upon that role and thus change "craft" into "art".

Listen to her rip right through "Somebody To Love" - She's just absolutely fearless - almost fierce - in her intensity. Her phrasing, her delivery, her new variations on a well-known time-honored theme are a wonder to behold.

I watched 7 or 8 of Shae Celine's videos ranging from straightforward lead singer with backing band to tier 3 musical theater productions to duets. She's better now than she was then - considerably so - but I'm not entirely convinced that she has found her own unique "voice" or if she ever will. She certainly has the necessary requirements to take on that mid-level lead vocalist role - She has all the tools - I just don't think that she has a tool-box. She does have a powerhouse voice - Stays in tune - and has a fine sense of how to express her physicality onstage. I just don't think that she's really using her own voice - You can clearly hear her influences when you watch the soul tune covers - Aretha Franklin and Chaka Khan in particular - but I can't really hear anything that distinguishes her from any number of other singers. She's doing "impressions" rather than "interpretations".

I don't know if either one of them can actually "act" in the literal sense of being able to be a working actor on or off- Broadway - Calvert definitely has the kind of voice that can hit the back rows - She could effortlessly sing "Let It Go" from "Frozen" for example without keeling over and gasping for air but I can say, with confidence, that Shae Celine just does not have have that kind of big Broadway voice - and wouldn't even be considered for a role as an understudy. When I listened to Celine doing a couple of tunes from "Beehive" a tier 3 level regional stage production held at the "Oregon Cabaret" you can see that once she stops singing she's completely lost never more so than during the interview.

And so.... The final verdict - the victory goes to Stephanie Calvert with Shae Celine receiving an honorable mention.
I agree 100% with your assessment of the two singers. Calvert is definitely the stronger of the two.

I will be interested in your take on any of the other Strange Magic posts I made these long years ago that interest you. Unhappily many of the video clips I linked to are long void--my intent was, as much as possible, to have the artists performing live on stage or live in a studio even if sometimes their recorded studio versions were clearer. I started to substitute newer videos where I could, live or studio in this latest round of the series, and may keep trying.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts