Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
That's also true of even a grand most of us can afford. The vast majority of pianos won't hold up to a Steinway or Bösendorfer.
True, but the quality of the Yahama and even Kawai pianos are far superior to uprights and if one wants to play a Steinway or Bosendorfer when available, one will be better able to get the benefit of them if they have the education of a grand. And if one wants to record their own playing then there is just no comparison. I spent a few years recording my own playing on a grand and there is no comparable way of recording an upright as there is to sticking a high quality microphone over the harp of a grand.

Now I understand that not everyone can own a grand piano and I also understand that there are good uprights that sound and feel pretty good, but that doesn’t change the superiority of the grand.

·
Registered
491 Posts
To make the comparison more complicated: (very) few upright pianos got the more refined mechanics of grand pianos. And giraffe pianos were build, upright but with long strings.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts