Classical Music Forum banner
161 - 163 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Once I watched "Written on skin" live (concert performance) and was admired. But recording didn't make the same effect.
Maybe one day I'll buy a ticket for Berg's opera. It's unlikely to occur until Verdi, Mozart, Handel and Strauss are staged. Or until Krassimira Stoyanova sings in it.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
You need to hear a recording with Olivero. As for Callas she often transformed the music she sang making it into something almost better than it was. Whilst the music of I Puritani is superb, the plot could be described as 'a load of old fashioned twaddle' and yet Callas persuades us that Elvira is a convincing creation.

Adrianna certainly isn't first class opera and the plot is ridiculous, but it has its merits and works in performance. The Scotto/Domingo recording is a good standard version, but not anything more than that. There are a lot of good arias in the piece:

Adrianna's two arias
The mezzo aria at the beginning of act two
L'anima ho stanca
Tenor/Soprano duet in act one.

N.
Exactly. Add to that Cilea's haunting theme and I am willing to overlook the pap of the story, especially when done by Olivero/Corelli/Simionato/Bastianini.

161 - 163 of 163 Posts