Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
We will try to bring Jeezus to them. Save their little micro-souls.
Finding life on Venus would be very scary for our future. I never realized, but the logic is interesting. Maybe I can find the video, but maybe you already know the logic?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Scary? What's scary about finding microorganisms in the atmosphere of Venus? Or were you thinking technologically advanced Venucians with hostile intentions? :)
It sounds convoluted, but it makes some sense.

"…..finding life beyond Earth would be horrible.
The more common life is in the universe,
and the more advanced and complex it is,
the more likely it becomes that a filter is in front of us humans."

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Two answers might be that it is a very big place to search, and we don't really know what we are looking for.
That's right. Even if there is an old and very stable technical civilization within a few thousand light years of us (quite improbable to be so close if you subscribe to the Rare Earth hypothesis), they will likely realize that they're thousands of years out of sync with us (in time and space). Not only would it take thousands of years to get here, but they know that our young civilization will be very very different in those few thousand years!

On the other hand it's quite convincing to conclude that only a few million years is required for a species with large armadas of ships to completely explore this galaxy. A million years is a long time, but it's just a blip in galaxies which require 200 or 300 million years merely to rotate only once.

So, are they here already? How would we know? Does the pack of wolves in Alaska understand anything about the men shooting at them from a plane? Or the high-powered rifle - or the plane? Or the airport it came from, etc. etc.?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Face it, we're alone folks.
I would bet that we are 'alone', but there are millions (most of them more advamced than us) out there. It's something to ponder..

Looking at what we've learned, we needed a survivable location in our galaxy and for our planet and our star and our planets - and abundances and conditions of long-term stability due to the moon and our long-term active core, favorable tectonics and the Carbon Cycle and lucky happenstances (extinctions) of our very long evolution.

I played around with an updated version of the Drake equation.
Drum roll please...
One planet or moon with a manipulative intelligence like ours (not whales for example) in every 10 average-sized galaxies. So, they're likely very far away, but there are millions in the universe!, separated by 10s of millions of years and light years.

Reactions: Roger Knox
1 - 4 of 4 Posts