Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Seriously, why are there so many of these recently? Who comes up with these stupid articles? People must have too much time on their hands because of covid. This stuff kills brain cells.
Trash tabloidism is everywhere. Decide to be a nitwit and the phone will be ringing nonstop with interview requests. Then they'll find an anti-nitwit with opposite views, and before you know it there'll be a "debate" between the "two sides" on national TV. Why do we say all three names for Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart but only two for Florence Price. Definitely something's fishy here ... (stare, stare, stare)

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
"This collision between increasing diversity and the mononyms of music history [i.e., Bach, Beethoven, Mozart] has created a hierarchical system that, whether or not you find it useful, can now only be seen as outdated and harmful."
The "mononyms" of music history = more straw men to attack. For equality they should go medieval as with Anonymous 4 -- composers take a number and form a line to the right.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
They have tended to fall into this lately. They lent credence to the Beethoven is black theory (which is only slightly more credible than Qanon) https://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/was-black-twitter-debates-african-heritage/ then also wrote about the very vox article in the op https://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/news/twitter-debates-slate-article-fullnaming-composers/. As a university student, this stuff is everywhere now; I mean some of my professors have stickers on their doors saying that their offices are intellectual safe spaces.
Yes, we cannot ignore what is going on. Rebellious rage led to destruction of icons in the Byzantine era, and heads chopped off statues of saints in Puritan England. Now, think of what could happen to those busts of Beethoven atop the world's pianos ... Before the axe-people get to them, they must all be converted to bobble-heads! Who would want to be seen harming a beatific Ludvig van, no longer a stiff-necked mononym, spreading positive energy and nodding approval of the piano student playing Für Elise?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.