Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although a large 32 inch timpani can handle the C below the bass clef, is it the case that such an instrument is pretty rarely owned and I would be advised not to include such a low note in my orchestral score?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Although a large 32 inch timpani can handle the C below the bass clef, is it the case that such an instrument is pretty rarely owned and I would be advised not to include such a low note in my orchestral score?

Cheers.
The advice is sound. A 32" timpano (for that is the singular term of the plural 'timpani') can comfortably be tuned down to the D under the first ledger line under the bass stave. Below that, although possible, the notes will be come less clear and of an inferior sound quality owning to the looseness of the drum head required to reach that low pitch. best avoided unless you're after a particularly 'flabby' effect.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The advice is sound. A 32" timpano (for that is the singular term of the plural 'timpani') can comfortably be tuned down to the D under the first ledger line under the bass stave. Below that, although possible, the notes will be come less clear and of an inferior sound quality owning to the looseness of the drum head required to reach that low pitch. best avoided unless you're after a particularly 'flabby' effect.
Thanks for this Delicious Manager.

What about this on wikipedia:

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Circle

Actually - it does specify 33 inch rather than 32...my bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.