Classical Music Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I thought that DavidA had ceased posting - at least in the guise of DavidA! Who knows though, he may well be lurking under a new name. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
I thought that DavidA had ceased posting - at least in the guise of DavidA! Who knows though, he may well be lurking under a new name. :rolleyes:
He has ceased to post in all incarnations, as far as I can tell. Member "Handelian" was banned permanently, and apparently the other members of the trinity (or quadrinity, or whatever) have decided to keep him company.

EDIT: A few hours after writing the above, I see that it wasn't "Handelian" but one of the other shapes of the shape-shifter that was banished. A durian fruit by any other name...

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I think the word you are looking for is Cabal!

Reactions: Woodduck

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The greatest composer ever. He made enchanting music that is out of this world. The only problem is that his operas are too long to have time to see them live but I really think Richard Wagner created the most beautiful and exciting music ever. So I am not tired of his music yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not a big Wagner fan so far, but I feel this sentiment. Where to move on from Bellini ? Superficially, he is in the same box with Verdi, Donizetti and Rossini, so it should be easy. But it doesn't work quite as well as I have imagined.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Not a big Wagner fan so far, but I feel this sentiment. Where to move on from Bellini ? Superficially, he is in the same box with Verdi, Donizetti and Rossini, so it should be easy. But it doesn't work quite as well as I have imagined.
Try Spontini's La Vestale (a sort of junior Norma).

Are you familiar with Mozart's main operas?

Which is your favourite of Bellini's operas and why?

N.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try Spontini's La Vestale (a sort of junior Norma).

Are you familiar with Mozart's main operas?

Which is your favourite of Bellini's operas and why?

N.
I like Norma best, but it is sort of on the top of other things that were great already. Before I got to Norma, I found myself actually crying at I Capuleti e i Montecchi. Il Pirata and La Sonnambula are also great. Beatrice di Tenda or La Straniera in certain mood. (I still owe I Puritani more attention, but Elvira is so annoying !).

Maybe I like slower tempo than e.g. Verdi would use in the equivalent dramatic situation and the tradition of very emotional singing (rubato ?). (I mean the average Bellinian tempo, "Mira o Norma" is too slow even for me).

I get similar satisfaction from Leonora's arias in il Trovatore, but don't feel like hearing the rest of the opera, I knew it well once. Also I like "Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix" and other Dalila's arias, but the rest of the opera is quite different.

I forgot to say, that the female characters in Bellini's operas are relatable in some weird way. Not that I would make the same decisions... Hard to explain. Verdi is more about fathers, I know exceptions exist but still...

Probably there are also some external factors. I forgot I like music for cca 15 years, and suddenly, in the midst of Covid, I attended the series of lectures about Bellini with a very enthusiastic teacher. So it was a good food after a long diet.

·
Registered
15,760 Posts
Norma seems to get a lot of mention on this site, so I presume it is a huge favorite, but the story did not appeal to me. My top Bellini, as many on TC surely already know, is La Sonnambula. The only other Bellini I really like a lot is Capuleti Montecchi. The Puritans is pretty good, but I need to spend more time with it.

Reactions: BBSVK

·
Registered
183 Posts
I even think of giving Wagner a serious chance. He liked Bellini a lot and always stayed away from criticism of him, so I am in a favourable mood. But now, I am in a lecture group about Meistersinger. I guess 3 people spoke, how they fell in love with Wagner simply by listening to the prelude of Meistersinger. I had it on the CD mixed with different stuff (a similar situation to one of my classmates), used to listen to it a lot and nothing happened !

I also used to listen to Tannhauser, Der Fliegende Hollaender and the mix of Wagner choruses. Some Wagner fans don't really count this stuff as Wagner :) I liked those operas, but not in the fanatic way. The exalted style sometimes made me tired.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is a problem. After one listens to Wagner for a long time, all the other composers' operas seem to be way too short.
That's very true. Wagner's work is like river that just keeps flowing along. He wants to say everything. You have to sit and listen to a complete opera and know the libretto pretty well or have it on hand. Just as I can't imagine not listening to Bach or Beethoven, I can't imagine not listening to Wagner.
I guess 3 people spoke, how they fell in love with Wagner simply by listening to the prelude of Meistersinger.
That's actually sort of my experience. The first Wagner I ever heard as a wee child was the Meistersinger prelude. It was used as the theme for some program on the local classical station, and I loved it. Later on I tried my hand at piano reductions of selections from Tristan and Parsifal and then when I was older I listened to those in full, and then the Ring. I was hooked.
The exalted style sometimes made me tired.
If you'll listen to Die Meistersinger you'll find that it's really not continually in an "exalted" style. There are conversational recitative-like passages. In the Ring a lot of dialogue and soliloquies are rather quiet, and also really perceptive in characterization...almost Shakespearean. But...when Wagner wants an exalted style he can pour it on like no other, that's for sure. Well, except for Bach.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I thought that DavidA had ceased posting
Isn't it scary to think we're still under his influence? There are Wagner threads said to be "temporarily closed for repairs". For example, this one, from 2014, still remains closed-
Anyway, here's some pure air of Handel, which he suggested as an alternative to Wagner in this thread-

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I even think of giving Wagner a serious chance. He liked Bellini a lot and always stayed away from criticism of him, so I am in a favourable mood. But now, I am in a lecture group about Meistersinger. I guess 3 people spoke, how they fell in love with Wagner simply by listening to the prelude of Meistersinger. I had it on the CD mixed with different stuff (a similar situation to one of my classmates), used to listen to it a lot and nothing happened !

I also used to listen to Tannhauser, Der Fliegende Hollaender and the mix of Wagner choruses. Some Wagner fans don't really count this stuff as Wagner :) I liked those operas, but not in the fanatic way. The exalted style sometimes made me tired.
Try Lohengrin (I suggest the Abbado recording for a great cast in wonderful modern sound.)

N.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts