Classical Music Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
But I suppose all you have to do is pass up those threads. Easy win for all! :)
What is the point of creating threads only to tell us to "just pass them up?"

This is the most bothersome aspect of TC, IMO. Some members seem to create thread after thread on passing fancy topics, as if something came into their head and they go and start a thread. It smacks of "hey, look what I'm thinking of right now!"

Most of these threads have no life, and are not suitable topics, sort of like expelling gas in public: You can't help but notice them but wish they weren't there.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I am guilty of starting a thread that I pretty much knew would go over my head in a few posts, so many are debating the five symphonies that changed music while I have pretty much stopped visiting the thread. I happened on the article by chance and started the thread on a whim. Well, I don't make a habit of this type of thread starting, but it does bring up the thought that someone could intentionally start many threads just to tie up members in useless discussion. Maybe that has already happened to a large degree here and is the reason some feel there are too many threads?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Has anyone noticed that newer threads are getting less comments(under 100). Or has this been the case for years. I would think that TC people who have been here for years might have a better perspective. Threads which have more than 100 comments seem to be older.

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
Has anyone noticed that newer threads are getting less comments(under 100). Or has this been the case for years. I would think that TC people who have been here for years might have a better perspective. Threads which have more than 100 comments seem to be older.
Of course some of that is over time more comments accumulate. But I think a number of newer threads have been created by new members, some with fewer than 10 posts. When a new member starts a thread, especially one which we've seen before, it does not make me want to comment. A thread begun by a member whose been around for a while is something like a friend inviting us to talk about something. Whereas the other kind of thread is like being accosted by a stranger.

·
Registered
21,390 Posts
The problem with people opening new threads is that there may already be a thread for that topic. If a forum can be viewed as an archive, having all of the posts on a topic in one thread is preferable to having several small threads with the posts scattered around.

My gripe with people starting new threads is that they made no attempt to see if there was already a thread that was about that topic and just post there. There may be an ego aspect to it. Some people might just want to have their name attached to a thread, and have people respond to them. I dunno.

Today I thought of starting a thread about Contemporary Composers. So I searched the forum and voila, there was already a thread with that very title. So I put my post there and bookmarked the thread for future posting.

That's my two cents on this topic.
I've also seen forums where people complain that "zombie threads" are resurrected too often by people who could just start new threads.

I don't know why either the one or the other would bother us. If we were trying to make a wikipedia-like reference, that would be different, but it's just a chat forum.

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
I've also seen forums where people complain that "zombie threads" are resurrected too often by people who could just start new threads.

I don't know why either the one or the other would bother us. If we were trying to make a wikipedia-like reference, that would be different, but it's just a chat forum.
I do appreciate reading a thread on a topic I am interested in, e.g. a composer, or period, or work, and having that discussion occur in a single long thread is better, more convenient, than having to search the forum for all related threads.

But, you're right. There are better places to find that kind of information than this forum which is, ideally, like a cyber-bar where a casual group of friends congregate and discuss music as well as other things.

I've made too many posts complaining about new threads ... I should give it a rest.

:tiphat:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I've made too many posts complaining about new threads ... I should give it a rest.

:tiphat:
Nonsense! Keep going! It seems like lately there has been a thread about Mozart and Beethoven posted every other minute. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Maybe Mozart and Beethoven deserve such attention
I never said and implied that they didn't. I'm saying a new thread doesn't need to be created about either one of them every time a thought pops into a member's head. There are plenty of threads devoted to both composers. I say make more contributions to existing threads.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Too many threads? :)

Let's take some advice from Emperor Joseph!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
We are not detouring into other members of the Haydn family beyond Franz Joseph.
Howabout other 'Franz Joseph's?:
"Franz Joseph Aumann (also Auman, Aumon; 24 February 1728, Traismauer - 30 March 1797, Sankt Florian) was an Austrian composer. Before his voice broke, he sang in the same Viennese choir as Michael Haydn and Johann Georg Albrechtsberger, composers with whom he later in life traded manuscripts. In view of this circulation, it is not surprising that some of his music has been incorrectly attributed to Haydn. However, his Missa Profana, satirizing the stuttering and bad singing of a schoolmaster, was once attributed to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Aumann was ordained a priest in the Augustinian Order in St. Florian in 1757, essentially staying there for the rest of his life. He wrote many mass settings.
Aumann's music was a large part of the repertoire at St. Florian in the 19th century, and Anton Bruckner availed himself of this resource for his studies of counterpoint. Bruckner focused a lot of his attention on Aumann's Christmas responsories and an Ave Maria in D major. Bruckner, who liked Aumann's coloured harmony, added in 1879 an accompaniment by three trombones to his settings of Ecce quomodo moritur justus and Tenebrae factae sunt.
Aumann's oeuvre also includes instrumental music, such as some of the earliest string quintets."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Joseph_Aumann

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I actually follow only a few threads on a regular basis.

Reactions: SanAntone

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Go to your settings and subscribe, it's very easy .
I have subscribed to a number of threads and then never went back. I guess you have to look up subscribed threads to list them out. Instead, I usually look for the green dot of threads I have posted in, then may access half of those, the others I have tired of. I will also look for new threads of possible interest. I pretty much gave up the game threads because I don't know enough music to play most of them and don't have much time to spend in the games anyway.

Reactions: arpeggio and Rogerx
61 - 80 of 111 Posts