Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Finally a Metal singer who doesn't sound like a character in The Exorcist. Refreshing.
Most metal singers don't employ fry screaming or false-vocal chord growls. Those are limited to certain sub-genres, which, at least in the "big picture" of metal, aren't terribly common. They've become more common over time, though.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Love them. They're in my top 10. Lateralus is one of my all-time favorite albums, but I love Aenima and have to come to lover 10kD over time as well. Still warming to Fear Inoculum, but I inevitably find that Tool gets better as I sit with their albums over time. I understand how some could get bored with them as they do have a rather limited emotional and sonic range/palette, but they're quite unique in what they do and there aren't (m)any bands/artists that do anything similar in remotely the same league. I'll also add that theirs was the best live show I've ever been to. It was a quasi-religious experience. Phenomenal sonics too.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think the first three TOOL albums are their most honest. But, I don't find them as enjoyable, too thrashy for my tastes.
I have no idea what "most honest" could possibly mean here, and there's zero thrash on any Tool album. Tool spawned from the alternative rock/metal movement of the early 90s along with bands like Faith No More and Jane's Addiction. All very different bands with very different takes on metal. Tool has undeniably has the most staying power and have a rabidly obsessive fanbase who feel their music holds the key to the meaning of life and the universe. I don't go that far, but I get it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There are an awful lot of metal bands that write very predictable material so there is an awful lot to weed through to find some interesting stuff. I think Voivod is a bit more interesting.
In any genre the vast majority of artists within that genre are going to be generic, predictable, formulaic, etc. because that's just the nature of human creativity. Those we consider "interesting" will depend upon our tastes and temperaments. I like Voivod too. They were among the pioneers of what could be called "progressive/technical thrash," and certainly the most well-known band of that sub-sub genre. Nothingface, Dimension Hatross, and Killing Technology are all great albums for people who love more technically advanced 80s thrash. Perhaps the best modern band to have adopted that sound (and combined it with a bit of black and death metal styles) is Vektor, and their 2016 Terminal Redux is one of the most acclaimed metal albums of the 2010s. Sadly, they've since broken up.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Just curious. Having sampled your recommendations online, what-in your view-makes them "technically advanced"? Is it their cover of a 1967 Pink Floyd song?
It's not really my view since that's just what the sub-genre is called. Typically the "tech" label refers to the technical difficulty of playing the music. I haven't learned to play any Voivod songs so I don't know how difficult they actually are; I just know they're thought of as one of the sub-genre's key early bands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts