Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello nice people!

Malinconia, by Eugène Ysaÿe, is the second piece of the second sonata for violin solo. Beautiful, but badly difficult on one violin.

Split among two instruments, Malinconia becomes easy, so here it is for two bowed instruments.

Ysaÿe's work in the public domain in the EU (but law isn't uniform here). Some websites suggest it is in the USA too, please check by yourself.

Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone and everybody!

Joseph Achron's Hebrew Melody is magnificent on a violin
and despite it would fit a viola or a cello perfectly, I don't hear any record. In case the lack of score was an obstacle, here's my transposition.

I suggest to hear violinists, to realize how freely they play the piece, and to save time not over-interpretating the tuplets in the Cadenza. Nice example among others:

Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

Attachments

Reactions: 59540

·
Read Only
2,024 Posts
That looks really interesting and thanks for posting it. Now I see the full context of the passage you asked about in another thread and I think I can see the reasoning behind the idea. I'll have to try it out. I think it would sound good on a cello anyway.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alternating between strings leaves a tiny overlap of both sounds, while on the same string the sound strength drops for a tiny instant between the notes, which underscores the pitch change and may bring something in this context.

Will we hear you on that score? :D It might be a premiere.

·
Read Only
2,024 Posts
Alternating between strings leaves a tiny overlap of both sounds, while on the same string the sound strength drops for a tiny instant between the notes, which underscores the pitch change and may bring something in this context.

Will we hear you on that score? :D It might be a premiere.
Maybe. I'd love to try it out. Maybe get an accompanist or even take on both parts myself, which would be an adventure. :LOL:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[...] take on both parts myself [...]
Wow! The piano part impresses me much more than the violin one. This piece must be seriously frustrating for the pianist, who has a difficult and nice part, but must leave most applause to the violinist.

Alas, I had to shift the piano part by a fourth to fit the viola and cello, so a pianist knowing the violin original has to re-learn the part.

I suppose the same music is more difficult on the cello than the violin due to the bigger intervals. And on the bassoon, playing fast is difficult, resulting from the @$##!! fingerings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts