Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The piano, violin, and cello are probably three of the best trio instruments around. I really like the Ghost trio by Beethoven. Though I haven't tried to play it yet, (mainly because I'm more in-tune with piano solo pieces than with multiple instrument pieces) I plan to very soon. Do you know of any duos, trios, or quartets that might satisfy me?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just saw a faculty concert of trios and I have to say that I was already obsessed with Ravel piano music, but his trio's are some of the most moving I've every heard. I dont remember which trio it was but I'm sure they are all stunning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
For a few really lovely piano trios from the Romantic era (in my preference order):

1. Beethoven: Trio for Piano and Strings No. 7 in B flat major, Op. 97 "Archduke"
  2. Schubert: Trio for Piano and Strings No. 2 in E flat major, and Adagio in E Flat Maj ("notturno")
  3. Brahms: Trio for Piano and Strings No. 2 in C major, Op. 87
  4. Tchaikovsky: Trio for Piano and Strings in A minor Op. 50
  5. Mendelssohn: Trio for Piano and Strings No. 1 in D minor
I think my overall favourite piece of chamber music (for a short piece) is Schubert's Adagio in E Flat Maj ("notturno") (Op. 148 posth), which is normally appended to the second item above. This is one of the pieces of music you must hear before you die. It is Schubert at his brilliant and delectable best. If there's anyone who doesn't like chamber music, well if you don't like this nothing will change your mind!

Topaz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brahms and Mozart clarinet trio are really amazing.
But also the Mendelssohn op.49, and the both Schubert's trio op.99 & 100.

I also listened the past couple of weeks to an amazing Piano trio:
By Paul Ben-Haim. It's really starting to be recorded worldwide although he wrote it in the late 40's.
It's based on a Hebrew Melody with Variations. at the beginig there's also a painful introduction, wich Ben-Haim explained as the horor he got out from when he went away from Germany in 1933. And from this was born a new subject.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, Shosta too. Have the first by the Copenhagen trio, and the famous second by Shosta
with Oistrakh and Sadlo, and by the Oistrakh's trio. Also by the Oistrakh's have Taneyev,Rimsky,Glinka,Chopin,Smetana...:) :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm a huge fan of piano trios! Piano trios and string quartets are my favorites of all chamber music to listen to.

Some of the piano trios that I enjoy are:

The "Ghost", "Archduke" and "Gassenhauer" trios by Beethoven, and also Beethoven's Septet transcribed for piano trio is very lovely! And don't forget his 3 piano trios from Opus 1.

I love both of Schubert's # 1 and # 2 full length piano trios.

Mozart's Piano Trios, particular K. 502, have a listen to it's lovely 2nd movement "Larghetto".

As for ensembles, I particularly like the "Beaux Arts Trio". Although I also enjoy the "Gryphon Trio" from Canada.

·
Registered
87 Posts
oisfetz - I agree! Russian piano trios are amazing.

I can't believe no one mentioned the Chausson Piano Trio in G minor!!! Please listen to it if you are not familiar with the work! It is incredible!!

Arensky, Tchaikovsky Dumky, and Mendelssohn D minor are some of my faves.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Anton Rubinstein wrote five piano trios, all of which are well worth hearing (though none is listed on arkivmusic right now (!)). The third (B-Flat Major, Op. 52) has been most frequently performed and recorded (I have several versions), partly because of its gorgeous slow movement. Xaver Scharwenka's two trios are likewise good examples of Romantic bravado in chamber form.

·
Registered
301 Posts
BRAHMS - trio in C minor

SCHUBERT - trio in Eb last movement got some brilliant music in it

RAVEL - trio - very radiant and arousing

BAX - elegiac trio for harp flute and viola - a short but very sweet glimpse into a misty
celticcy past - a first for anyone looking into a more unusual but perfectly chosen
combination

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.