Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Senior Moderator
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has your pet ever caused real trouble?

I was inspired to put this up after reading about this cat LINK :

The cat managed to get itself stuck up the same tree twice in two days. The whole story is typically British with a mixture of sentiment, council inefficiency and over zealous health and safety rules.

So, have you any similar stories about your pets?

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
A friend of mine has two Siamese cats who like to steal the smaller items from her neighbours' washing lines.

·
Premium Member
14,272 Posts
Cats do seem to like popping through any open window or door that they find.

Once, when we lived in Durham, our cat Peg went missing, and we saw her inside a neighbour's living room - it was a terraced street & they'd left the sash window open.

But they'd gone out. So, as the sash window was low to the ground, I pushed it open and 'burgled' our cat out of there, then replaced the window.

Here in Norfolk, we lost our black cat Bramble & heard him miaowing from inside a neighbour's garage. Again, the owners were out - in fact, they'd gone away on holiday. But I discovered a way to open the garage, which was nominally locked. I released Bramble, but didn't notice that another neighbour's cat Casey was hanging around. I shut the garage door again, and took Bramble home.

Two days later my neighbour Maureen called at our house: 'I suppose you haven't seen Casey, have you? He's been missing for the last two days...' :eek:

·
Senior Moderator
12,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When we lived in Durham, we had two cats and one of them managed to climb a tree in a neighbour's garden and sit calmly on top of a bird box. The only trouble was that the tree was on top of a bank so that it was some distance from the ground.

The first time, Ingélou managed to coax it down by playing the recorder. The second time, I had to scale the tree, which swayed ominously, and bring the cat down on my shoulders. :eek:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I am a Physician and have treated many Patients who fell over their cats and dogs and had hip fractures, along with assorted infections from bites and scratches.
Last winter my two year old grandson crawled up to his dog's dish and while mimicking the dog's feeding, provoked an attack that resulted in several facial bites, including one that just missed his eye

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
My dog's a Yorkshire Terrier, and we sometimes let him run around in our back yard, which is pretty big. Since he's so small, we're always mindful to block any holes in the fence we can find. I'm guessing he follows the rabbits' smells because he manages to find the ones we miss all the time.

Anyway one afternoon, my parents let him out, they were on the deck drinking wine [pretty much all they do now, I'm jealous] when my mom asks, "Where's the dog?" As my dad was looking around the yard, she went back into the house and heard scratching at our front door.

My dog had squeezed through some hole in the fence, walked around to the front of the house, and was pawing and yipping to be let back in. He's so silly! He could have just went back through the fence. Then again, my dog's so sheltered, he doesn't want to run away haha. My story's not on the same level as the others; my dog's rude, but he isn't too troublesome, even if he barks a lot.

We keep his collar on so it'll jingle wherever he walks

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Perhaps this doesn't come into the 'troublesome' category as such, but my late uncle's Boxer, Duke, had probably the worst case of extreme flatulence I've ever encountered - whether animal or human. My uncle took him to the vet when he was a puppy to be examined but the vet apparently said there was nothing particularly wrong with him. Unfortunately it was difficult to be in the same room as Duke sometimes but he was a smashing dog otherwise, and the vet must have been right about his well-being as he lived a long life. Duke's successor, Max, was thankfully a fart-free zone - well, most of the time...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I am a Physician and have treated many Patients who fell over their cats and dogs and had hip fractures, along with assorted infections from bites and scratches.
Last winter my two year old grandson crawled up to his dog's dish and while mimicking the dog's feeding, provoked an attack that resulted in several facial bites, including one that just missed his eye
This is the reason why I had my children "steal" the (young) dogs foodbowls just when they had started eating. Just a few times in a month or so. Boxers are amongst the kindest of dogs especially to children, but the mongrel foxterrier needed a bit of a correction when my oldest daughter pulled that trick, mind you, the fox was not a puppy when daughter came into the family.
Anyways, I do hope your grandson is allright, Triplets!

·
Banned
9,050 Posts
The tropical aquarium. Everything must be right otherwise the fish die (I live in temperate zone).

·
Premium Member
14,272 Posts
What is it with cats and hidey-holes? We once looked after a kitten for a friend and after a day couldn't find it anywhere. We panicked - we didn't think it could have got out, but who knew? Eventually we found that it had crept through the hole in the back of the gas stove & into the bottom section where the pans were stored.

Our friends started a family and a year or two later, we took this now grown-up cat into our house. She was a gorgeous affectionate little tabby with a bright orange tum. We moved home, and once lost her for over twenty four hours, though we looked everywhere. Eventually we heard a piteous miaow from the cupboard under the stairs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I posted this on the "funny pictures" thread, but it fits better here.

"We had a dog once that was farting loudly for awhile, and they stank. After one or two times in the living room I started chasing him back to the room where he slept in case he did it again, and kept doing it for several times over the course of a couple weeks. One evening we were in the living room and my wife passed gas loudly, and the dog got up and slunk back to his room."

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I had a misadventure with a pet dog last night.

I was walking in the neighbourhood and stopped to chat with a neighbour who was out pulling weeds. We were just beginning our chat, when an average sized dog, barking fiercely and with fangs bared, bolted out of the man's yard and leapt up at me, jumping up at my face and close to my bare arms and t-shirt clad torso, barking toothily. The man yelled at the dog and it returned into the yard. I was quite shaken.

I asked the man if he had not heard of dog obedience training. He blithely told me that this is what he had trained his dog to do and then he uttered the threat: "And one word from me and things would have been different!"

·
Registered
509 Posts

I was walking in the neighbourhood and stopped to chat with a neighbour who was out pulling weeds. We were just beginning our chat, when an average sized dog, barking fiercely and with fangs bared, bolted out of the man's yard and leapt up at me, jumping up at my face and close to my bare arms and t-shirt clad torso, barking toothily. The man yelled at the dog and it returned into the yard. I was quite shaken.

I asked the man if he had not heard of dog obedience training. He blithely told me that this is what he had trained his dog to do and then he uttered the threat: "And one word from me and things would have been different!"
I would think that would be something worth reporting to the police, or bury the dog, especially if the dog left the mans property.

·
Premium Member
14,272 Posts

It does sound horrible. What a wrong-headed man; animals will be animals, and are never under iron control. Somebody could get hurt in the future. Sympathies.

·
Premium Member
14,272 Posts
Some years ago, when we were pet-owners, we were walking on the beach with our two dogs (off the leash) when they were young. It was autumn, and there was a line of men standing on the shore and casting fishing lines into the waves. Suddenly one of them reeled in a small fish, and as the line dragged through the surf, Taggart - the border terrier, not the man! - leapt excitedly upon it, and ran off with the fish in his mouth. We ran after him, shouting, and miraculously for him, he dropped the fish, uneaten, though with a bit of scuffing where his teeth had held it. We returned it to the man apologetically and scarpered. :eek:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.