Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
14,425 Posts
Cats do seem to like popping through any open window or door that they find.

Once, when we lived in Durham, our cat Peg went missing, and we saw her inside a neighbour's living room - it was a terraced street & they'd left the sash window open.

But they'd gone out. So, as the sash window was low to the ground, I pushed it open and 'burgled' our cat out of there, then replaced the window.

Here in Norfolk, we lost our black cat Bramble & heard him miaowing from inside a neighbour's garage. Again, the owners were out - in fact, they'd gone away on holiday. But I discovered a way to open the garage, which was nominally locked. I released Bramble, but didn't notice that another neighbour's cat Casey was hanging around. I shut the garage door again, and took Bramble home.

Two days later my neighbour Maureen called at our house: 'I suppose you haven't seen Casey, have you? He's been missing for the last two days...' :eek:

· Premium Member
14,425 Posts
What is it with cats and hidey-holes? We once looked after a kitten for a friend and after a day couldn't find it anywhere. We panicked - we didn't think it could have got out, but who knew? Eventually we found that it had crept through the hole in the back of the gas stove & into the bottom section where the pans were stored.

Our friends started a family and a year or two later, we took this now grown-up cat into our house. She was a gorgeous affectionate little tabby with a bright orange tum. We moved home, and once lost her for over twenty four hours, though we looked everywhere. Eventually we heard a piteous miaow from the cupboard under the stairs.

· Premium Member
14,425 Posts
I had a misadventure with a pet dog last night.

I was walking in the neighbourhood and stopped to chat with a neighbour who was out pulling weeds. We were just beginning our chat, when an average sized dog, barking fiercely and with fangs bared, bolted out of the man's yard and leapt up at me, jumping up at my face and close to my bare arms and t-shirt clad torso, barking toothily. The man yelled at the dog and it returned into the yard. I was quite shaken.

I asked the man if he had not heard of dog obedience training. He blithely told me that this is what he had trained his dog to do and then he uttered the threat: "And one word from me and things would have been different!"
It does sound horrible. What a wrong-headed man; animals will be animals, and are never under iron control. Somebody could get hurt in the future. Sympathies.

· Premium Member
14,425 Posts
Some years ago, when we were pet-owners, we were walking on the beach with our two dogs (off the leash) when they were young. It was autumn, and there was a line of men standing on the shore and casting fishing lines into the waves. Suddenly one of them reeled in a small fish, and as the line dragged through the surf, Taggart - the border terrier, not the man! - leapt excitedly upon it, and ran off with the fish in his mouth. We ran after him, shouting, and miraculously for him, he dropped the fish, uneaten, though with a bit of scuffing where his teeth had held it. We returned it to the man apologetically and scarpered. :eek:

· Premium Member
14,425 Posts
We have a dog here and since it's very warm here in our area, we had to put a fan of some sorts near her playground so that she would stay cool. A few days later, we were baffled when we saw the wire completely broken by the dog, and that's when we found out that dogs tend to nip on things when they're bored...
My sister (years ago) left a new puppy to sleep in the car when she came to see me, and found that the wire to the rear lights had been gnawed through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.