Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
42,095 Posts
I had a misadventure with a pet dog last night.

I was walking in the neighbourhood and stopped to chat with a neighbour who was out pulling weeds. We were just beginning our chat, when an average sized dog, barking fiercely and with fangs bared, bolted out of the man's yard and leapt up at me, jumping up at my face and close to my bare arms and t-shirt clad torso, barking toothily. The man yelled at the dog and it returned into the yard. I was quite shaken.

I asked the man if he had not heard of dog obedience training. He blithely told me that this is what he had trained his dog to do and then he uttered the threat: "And one word from me and things would have been different!"
A dog is a reflection of his owner. You better watch out!

· Registered
20,832 Posts
I had a misadventure with a pet dog last night.

I was walking in the neighbourhood and stopped to chat with a neighbour who was out pulling weeds. We were just beginning our chat, when an average sized dog, barking fiercely and with fangs bared, bolted out of the man's yard and leapt up at me, jumping up at my face and close to my bare arms and t-shirt clad torso, barking toothily. The man yelled at the dog and it returned into the yard. I was quite shaken.

I asked the man if he had not heard of dog obedience training. He blithely told me that this is what he had trained his dog to do and then he uttered the threat: "And one word from me and things would have been different!"
You could carry a spray and hose the dog but with that owner, look out. He probably would come at you if you hosed the dog, so make sure you have plenty of extra spray. I would be inclined to avoid that block if you don't have to walk that way.

In the Detroit area a man who happened to be carrying a pistol (legally) was at a park when some people had their dog off leash (illegal there). The dog came charging at the man, He hollered to the owner who said, "Don't worry, he is friendly." The dog kept coming and the guy shot the dog. The dog lived and the man with the pistol was not charged because he rightfully was defending himself. Too many dog owners disobey leash laws and it makes taking walks in the park annoying.

· Registered
20,832 Posts
My dog ate a poisonous mushroom in our yard a few years ago. She was about 8 months old. It resulted in a $1500 bill for doggy ER and overnight stay. She was one sick puppy. Liver enzymes were 6 times normal limit. They flushed her out with an IV.

· Registered
25,464 Posts
For a depressing experience, read the comments at the bottom of articles describing attacks by vicious dogs, especially pit bulls. "My dog is a dominant male. Your dog didn't act submissive enough. No wonder he was attacked! His fault, and your fault!"

The dog may not be alone in needing to be put down.

· Registered
22 Posts
We have a dog here and since it's very warm here in our area, we had to put a fan of some sorts near her playground so that she would stay cool. A few days later, we were baffled when we saw the wire completely broken by the dog, and that's when we found out that dogs tend to nip on things when they're bored...

· Premium Member
14,425 Posts
We have a dog here and since it's very warm here in our area, we had to put a fan of some sorts near her playground so that she would stay cool. A few days later, we were baffled when we saw the wire completely broken by the dog, and that's when we found out that dogs tend to nip on things when they're bored...
My sister (years ago) left a new puppy to sleep in the car when she came to see me, and found that the wire to the rear lights had been gnawed through.

G

·
They can make a mess, but it's hard to get angry when they are so cute! We have since had to purchase a sealed TP dispenser.

(Ours is white.)

· Premium Member
14,066 Posts
^
^

Looks like he's took a swipe on the snout there...is he a bit of a brawler?

· Registered
9,604 Posts
I am about to make a 40 mile round trip to feed someone else's cats. That's what I call troublesome pets.

· Registered
20,832 Posts
I'd like to know how to keep them off countertops.
Maybe that is why people let them roam outdoors--to keep them off the counter tops.

I was talking to a guy at work who has cats, but I forgot, and mentioned being somewhere where the people let the cats go on the counter tops, and he replied, "What's wrong with that?" :eek:

· Registered
1,643 Posts
The first night my fiancee (now wife) brought her cat over, it somehow got the hook of a coat hanger lodged in its eye. Understandably the creature panicked and raced around the house, my fiancée and I in pursuit. When we finally caught up with it, I was able to extract the coat hanger without damage to cat or eye. Nevertheless it was a stressful evening for all concerned.

· Registered
20,832 Posts
I have a great cat story from many years ago. Hang on, it takes a bit of background to get to the cat part. I was helping my friend move to college, so we were driving from Detroit to Atlanta and we had the back of my 1977 F100 filled with furniture and other stuff. We left late Saturday and got about 15 miles down the road when my exhaust fell off from the muffler back, including the muffler. We drove on. The hills of kentucky made the truck work pretty hard and with that and the load, the truck was awfully loud.

We stopped at a rest area about the break of day and there was a muffler laying in the ditch, exact same kind that goes on that truck, so we grabbed it and beat it onto the open pipe with a rock and tied it up with some heavy cord. It made it the whole trip and then some. So part of his belongings that we were taking to college included his cat, Joey. When we stopped and found the muffler, we could not find the cat. Then we heard meowing and discovered the cat was under the dash board. The dashboard had a speaker grill on top in the middle, but since I bought the truck stripped down, there was no radio. We discovered the cat by looking into the speaker grill and it was staring up at us. The cat did not hide under the dash again, and I think that is because the truck was much quieter with the muffler we had put on it.

· Registered
509 Posts
I'd like to know how to keep them off countertops. We've tried squirting with water, placing aluminum foil around the perimeter, and even installing a shock pad. The latter worked, but it scared one so badly that she leaped about 4 feet in the air and smacked some hanging light fixtures. We certainly don't want to hurt them.
The voltage probably wasn't high enough, I understand that 220 works pretty well. The cat certainly wouldn't jump very high.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.