Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any music inspired by Schoenberg experiment in twelve tone, in jazz, rock or metal ect
His the nyc noise-rocker band sonic youth twelve tone , since there atonal for instance.

I took a far fetch exemple of a noise-rock band because i did not had any idea
but i acknowledge even if i dont know jazz that mutch that iit must had occur?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
There are plenty of bands in the avant-garde prog-rock genre that use plenty of atonality (Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Universe Zero, Motor Totemist Guild, etc), but not sure if there are any that use 12 tone.

Ron Jarzombek, an incredible guitarist, uses 12 tone with his technical metal band "Blotted Science".

But now you got me on a search for more!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The Thinking Plague does use some 12-tone.

This article points out where they use it on their album "In Extremis"

https://malleusincus.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/genre-defying-bands-part-2-thinking-plague/

In a negative review of the album "A History of Madness", the reviewer has the following to say, "How many 12-tone wankfests can we get through in one album?". Oh well, one person's 'wankfest' is another's (mine) brilliance.

Vocalist, Deborah Perry, also bases some of her vocal lines on 12-tone.

Extreme metal band, Peculate, uses quite a bit of 12-tone in their compositions. Their Wiki page says the following:

"Peculate "combines metal, djent, jazz, contemporary classical, avant-garde, electronic, and experimental music together to create progressive music with punk sensibilities." Much of Peculate's music is composed using the 12-tone technique."

They use growling vocals, so YMMV, but there is also plenty of 12-tone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PeculateMusic

Reactions: deprofundis

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon Moon the thinking plague in extremis is sooo awesome i want this record its mandatory in vinyl , thanks Buddy you have good taste.

G

·
Simon Moon the thinking plague in extremis is sooo awesome i want this record its mandatory in vinyl , thanks Buddy you have good taste.
If you like that album, I'm sure you'll like all of them. There's been some changes in personnel over the years but the standard is constant. (Their "output" is very infrequent).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you like that album, I'm sure you'll like all of them. There's been some changes in personnel over the years but the standard is constant. (Their "output" is very infrequent).
They are working on new material right now.

·
Banned
18,315 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I opened this to post Bill Evans' TTTT - "Twelve Tone Tune Two" and found a reference posted. I posted a comment and link on TTTT last week for another thread. It is a great composition and superb jazz trio live performance (Tokyo 1973)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.