Classical Music Forum banner
541 - 545 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
OK, I see that; how important chord progression is, but for the untrained, chord progressions aren't easy to pick out either, whereas it's easier to hear an affective difference between a C Maj and a G Min symphony...isn't it?
Chord progressions are only hard to "pick out" in the sense of being able to name them by ear, but they're easy to notice in that they've happened; most of the time you just have to listen to the movement of the bass. The difference between C Maj and Gm isn't in the C and the G but in the Major and Minor. Minor keys have a flattened third (and often a flattened 6th and 7th, but the 3rd is the most important one). That flattened third is more unstable and thus lends itself better to drama, sadness, anxiety, etc., but even this major/minor difference is mostly noticed via chord changes. If a work in Cm hung around C, D, F, and G for a long time you wouldn't be able to tell if it was major or minor until it hit E-flat.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Thanks, I had read that and I had forgotten. It might be a helpful concept to some people. Another way to approach the WTC as a 'foreseeable' progression. ;)

My color notions have only helped me quickly distinguish between the chords Fb and Emaj. Because E is vivid green to me, while Fb doesn't have a color, yet. Neither does Cb, while B is a vivid blue.

Liszt, Wagner, Sibelius, Messiaen, Duke Ellington, Billy Joel
reportedly had sound to color synesthesia

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Piercing through the mist that seems to enshroud your replies to direct questions, I come away with the idea that you favor Mozart over Bach. I do not expect a reply either affirming or denying this.
Interesting. Bach and Mozart are so different for playing. I'd usually rather play Bach, but in sullen moods I pull out the Am Rondo (I'm not a fan of the Bm Adagio, I'd rather hear a world-class pianist play it). The Mozart pieces can become too-well known, but not Bach with me, so far..

541 - 545 of 545 Posts