Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the event of his's 203rd birthday, I thought I'd pose the traditional "which is best" question with regards to Giuseppe Verdi's 1874 "opera in ecclesiastical robes."

The performance from this past Proms with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment led by Marin Alsop really caught on with me.

·
Registered
38,640 Posts
My two absolute favourites are:

Verdi:Requiem
Leontyne Price (soprano), Rosalind Elias (mezzo-soprano), Jussi Björling (tenor), Giorgio Tozzi (bass)
Wiener Philharmoniker, Singverein der Gesellscaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Fritz Reiner on Decca and very close second:

Verdi: Requiem
Renata Scotto, Agnes Baltsa, Veriano Luchetti and Evgeny Nesterenko
Philharmonia Orchestra & Ambrosian Chorus, Riccardo Muti
Formerly on EMI now Warner

·
Registered
806 Posts
Leontyne Price (soprano), Rosalind Elias (mezzo-soprano), Jussi Björling (tenor), Giorgio Tozzi (bass)
Wiener Philharmoniker, Singverein der Gesellscaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Fritz Reiner on Decca and very close second:
This is THE one. Many others out there but none so rich, massive, great, and divine!

Watched this yesterday, it's lonely at the top.
However, if they ever released this on CD, it certainly would give Reiner's a run for it's money, perhaps surpass it. Why oh why will they not release this on CD, I have no idea!

Pugg, two Home Runs in the same thread. Well done!

V

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Wiener Philharmoniker, Singverein der Gesellscaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Fritz Reiner on Decca
This is one of my favorites, also - others:

Toscanini/NBC/1951
Solti/CSO - 6/77

·
Registered
38,640 Posts
This is THE one. Many others out there but none so rich, massive, great, and divine!

However, if they ever released this on CD, it certainly would give Reiner's a run for it's money, perhaps surpass it. Why oh why will they not release this on CD, I have no idea!

Pugg, two Home Runs in the same thread. Well done!

V
I do wish they filmed it better though, the staging is absurd.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Versions I have:

Toscanini - 1939 and 1952

Fricsay - tremendous performance in mono

Guilin - given at a Prom. Much better than his studio version

Gardiner - period instruments - really top notch

Muti - height of drama

Morani on Naxos - really, really good

Toscanini's have authenticity but you really need good sound for this work.

·
Registered
492 Posts
As already pointed out, I would like to echo the Toscanini recommendation. If for nothing else, at least for cultural purpose.
Another personal favorite is:
Rec 1967
Sir Georg Solti & Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Note: together also with a very young and strong Pavarotti

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting oddball version?

I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

Forehead Nose Jaw Font Ear

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I just ordered this one - hasn't yet arrived. 1961 radio performance with a strong customer review on Amazon, and with Nicolai Gedda doing the tenor part and a conductor I absolutely adore - but with no idea how he handled this music! I look forward to hearing this in about ten days....

View attachment 89954
From what I hear, that Christa Ludwig may amount to something, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Weird! Yes, you're right, and I had her name typed in the message but somehow edited it out while correcting my notoriously abysmal typing. Too busy getting the hang of posting photos, to pay attention to my text! Sorry, and thanks!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.