Classical Music Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A live recording and only in Mono sound I know but by far the most moving and dynamic performance is the De Sabata live from La Scala in 1951 with the magnificent Renata Tebaldi and wonderful support from Rankin, Prandelli and Rossi-Lemeni. No one sing the soprano line as does Tebaldi. The true voice of an Angel. Only Leontyne Price comes close on the underrated Fritz Reiner, my Stereo choice.
Please try and hear the De Sabata. Not even Toscanini outshines this performance.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I own and like very much:
Fricsay
Solti
Gardiner
Giulini (EMI & BBC)
Karajan

I also have Reiner's but feel there are some SQ issues with that one...

I am waiting for Teodor Currentzis to release a commercial recording... I was bowled over by a recent performance with the Berlin Philharmonic. This was fantastic, fabulous, unique and spectacular LIVE Verdi Requiem

It could be watched for the a while (during the Corona social distancing policy) for FREE on the Berliner Philarmoniker Digital Concert Hall platform (HD and very good sound)

Berliner Philharmoniker
Teodor Currentzis

Zarina Abaeva soprano
Annalisa Stroppa mezzo-soprano
Sergey Romanovsky tenor
Evgeny Stavinsky bass
musicAeterna Choir

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/52511

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
A live recording and only in Mono sound I know but by far the most moving and dynamic performance is the De Sabata live from La Scala in 1951 with the magnificent Renata Tebaldi and wonderful support from Rankin, Prandelli and Rossi-Lemeni. No one sing the soprano line as does Tebaldi. The true voice of an Angel. Only Leontyne Price comes close on the underrated Fritz Reiner, my Stereo choice.
Please try and hear the De Sabata. Not even Toscanini outshines this performance.
Have not heard this one, but I think Tebaldi might have had no trouble with this piece in 1951. Will give it a try, the others seem OK.
Update:
I heard some of this on YouTube. I would deem this a supplemental choice; the sound is bad in some places, but listenable. The Messa da Requiem needs suberb sound, too! The Karajan video with Price, Cossotto, Pavarotti, Ghiaurov is essential and my first choice for voices. The Giulini for overall devotion, live or EMI studio.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have not heard this one, but I think Tebaldi might have had no trouble with this piece in 1951. Will give it a try, the others seem OK.
Update:
I heard some of this on YouTube. I would deem this a supplemental choice; the sound is bad in some places, but listenable. The Messa da Requiem needs suberb sound, too! The Karajan video with Price, Cossotto, Pavarotti, Ghiaurov is essential and my first choice for voices. The Giulini for overall devotion, live or EMI studio.
What is missed with the HvK La Scala recording is the work of Pavarotti. Apparently he wasn't first choice (I think di Stefano was) but illness thrust big Lucy into the limelight with this performance. He is simply magnificent and his voice is so pure at this stage of his career. I have the DVD of this performance and managed to transfer the audio to my sound files. For me, Leontyne Price's wonderful soprano voice is what helps to make this such a great performance. I've heard a lot the others - Reiner, both Fricsays, Giulini, Serafin, the wonderful Toscaninis, de Sabata (with Schwarzkopf), Muti. But as others have said, it's lonely at the top and despite me not being a great fan of Fluffy's he excelled himself here. I'm listening as I write this reply.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What is missed with the HvK La Scala recording is the work of Pavarotti. Apparently he wasn't first choice (I think di Stefano was) but illness thrust big Lucy into the limelight with this performance. He is simply magnificent and his voice is so pure at this stage of his career. I have the DVD of this performance and managed to transfer the audio to my sound files. For me, Leontyne Price's wonderful soprano voice is what helps to make this such a great performance. I've heard a lot the others - Reiner, both Fricsays, Giulini, Serafin, the wonderful Toscaninis, de Sabata (with Schwarzkopf), Muti. But as others have said, it's lonely at the top and despite me not being a great fan of Fluffy's he excelled himself here. I'm listening as I write this reply.
Leontyne Price in the HtheK performance would be a religious experience even if this weren't a religious work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know why, I was always fascinated by Karajan's first recording with the Wiener Singverein.

I think the soloist quartet is excellent.

The Wiener Singverein, although a lay formation, does its job very well.

Right at the beginning, the first bars, the first choir entry and immediately I get goose bumps, magical!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Karajan's Requiem at La Scala is a unicorn. DVD. Young, beardless Pavarotti at his best. Leontyne Price with that creamy, effortless soprano. Ghiaurov, as secure and authoritative as one could get on the low end. And, perhaps surprisingly, Fiorenza Cossotto stealing the show from her all-time all star partners, with a heartfelt, strong performance. I've always admired the mezzo-soprano part the most, and she does not disappoint. The direction (not Karajan) is a bit odd because there are some edited close- ups where the singers are lip-syncing and even the clothes and jewelry they are wearing are different than the clothes they wore at the performance. The chorus is La Scala. It's at La Scala. There is a special vibe to the whole thing. Overall, the performance is a dream.

For cds there is, of course, the famous Giulini, but I also like a performance Solti directed which has Marilyn Horne on mezzo-s.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
I still love the Reiner most but Muti has some great moment, besides the soprano.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Karajan's Requiem at La Scala is a unicorn. DVD. Young, beardless Pavarotti at his best. Leontyne Price with that creamy, effortless soprano. Ghiaurov, as secure and authoritative as one could get on the low end. And, perhaps surprisingly, Fiorenza Cossotto stealing the show from her all-time all star partners, with a heartfelt, strong performance. I've always admired the mezzo-soprano part the most, and she does not disappoint. The direction (not Karajan) is a bit odd because there are some edited close- ups where the singers are lip-syncing and even the clothes and jewelry they are wearing are different than the clothes they wore at the performance. The chorus is La Scala. It's at La Scala. There is a special vibe to the whole thing. Overall, the performance is a dream.

For cds there is, of course, the famous Giulini, but I also like a performance Solti directed which has Marilyn Horne on mezzo-s.
The problem with the Solti is Sutherland, totally out of phase with the piece.
I love that Karajan La Scala, and have had the sound of the DVD to a CD.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
And the last recording of this requiem by Karajan?

Tomowa -SIntow / Carreras/ Baltsa/ Van Dam?

What do you think about that recording?

Just made to be made, overproduction, with even better techniques, ( they say)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I’m a long time lurker and 1st time poster. First, thank you ~everyone~ for teaching me sooooooo much. Before I spend $ (and generally spending WAY more than I should)... well...this board has become invaluable to me these past few years. I have learned so much from you guys. At my old age of 51, I’ve become absolutely consumed, dominated and mounted by the world of classical music. Only for several months now I’ve gotten very deep into opera and choral music. Anyway, thank you kindly my maestros.
So to chime in here...I have 3 Verdi Requiem recordings now:
Gardiner from 1992 on Philips was my first Verdi requiem purchase.
Solti from 1967 with Sutherland and Pavarotti. I DL’d from iTunes because it was labeled as a “digital master”. I really loved the power and voices, but the SQ was not just not sitting well with me. I did some research here and found most people preferred the 2nd Solti release from 1977. Being that I’ve become a huge L. Price fan, I found the 77 Solti release reissued on Sony and on a Japan import (2016)...IT IS STINKIN AMAZING! Powerful, gorgeous, and in very nice SQ. This is my #1 although I haven’t heard Reiner, Giulini and many of the others mentioned on here.

Update:
Found Giulini with Schwarzkopf and Ludwig remaster on iTunes done on Apple Digital Master. Listening to it now, I can’t believe how good it sounds. I must buy it and put my good cans on and focus in on it.

Thanks again!
Chris

·
Registered
229 Posts

I'm so happy to hear you say that about Cossotto. She's astoundingly good. I'm sure you've noticed that the first note of every phrase is sung dead centre of the note. Not something that can be said about many singers.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.