Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This pertains to those Rings that do not have the same person for Brunhilde, Wotan, Siegfried throughout, or even one of those big three is not consistently the same person throughout the cycle. I am not so concerned about inconsistency of cast for Erda, the Rheinmaidens, or the Nibelungs though.

I'll start noting that the Zagrosek Ring is pretty good and it looks like different people throughout for the main characters.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC the Karajan ring goes through doesn't have the same cast members it starts out with.
Well that will get most of the votes were this a poll, but I hope to hear about some others, so we'll see.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
What's the point? With the exception of some single season festival broadcasts, there probably aren't many cycles with consistent casting. Even the Solti/Decca doesn't have the same Wotan throughout.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the point? With the exception of some single season festival broadcasts, there probably aren't many cycles with consistent casting. Even the Solti/Decca doesn't have the same Wotan throughout.
I was unaware of that.

So maybe I should have asked for cycles that DO have the same main characters throughout.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Even Bayreuth cast three different sopranos for Brünnhilde in Walküre, Siegfried and Götterdämmerung in 1973. Admittedly illness caused one of the changes. Berit Lindholm sang Walküre, Ursula Schröder-Feinen sang Siegfried and Caterina Ligendza sang Götterdämmerung.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They cast George London for the "young Wotan" for Rheingold.
Well there is an idea. It seems that there must be about 25 years between Rheingold and Walkurie. However, with Fria's golden apples they are supposed to retain their youth.

But there has to be about 25 years between Walkurie and Siegfried too.

For Siegfried to Gotterdammerung, it seems like only a couple weeks. Siegfried and Brunnhilde just complete their honeymooon and off goes Siegfried for adventure. Did he tire of her that quickly?

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Since this thread has essentially failed for lack of interest or lack of basis for much comment, I will use it to pursue comments on a particular ring that not many at TC appreciate. In fact when I bought this ring and posted operas from it in the recent purchases, I got a comment about why would I even buy it. But after a couple years, I am finding I like this ring more and more. I even am watching the DVD of Rheingold, which is a very strange production but a fun watch. I won't get Siegfried on DVD as a commenter online says in it Mime performs a disgusting act upon himself.

Anyway I really like this ring and I think at least one other TC member likes it too.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I must confess that after spinning the Frankfurter Ring more than a few times, I am not as keen on Zagrosek anymore. Frankfurter may be my new favorite (for now).

Reactions: Barbebleu
1 - 11 of 11 Posts