Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Wow, that is an awesome performance and a pretty decent recording quality. It is beyond my price range, but maybe you will find a buyer here if it is below the prevailing online price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a great pity that it is so scarce. One might hope that Orfeo would someday release an "official" version from the Bavarian Radio archives. The current online price is beyond absurd!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This Bayreuth Kna 1957 was also released by Walhall in separate installments, although the Gotterdammerung has long, and inexplicably, been unavailable.

The few copies of this Golden Melodram box of the entire cycle is going for silly money on Amazon. I can sell for around £100 sterling (the price I paid for it a couple of years ago), but I am open to negotiation!

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
This Bayreuth Kna 1957 was also released by Walhall in separate installments, although the Gotterdammerung has long, and inexplicably, been unavailable.

The few copies of this Golden Melodram box of the entire cycle is going for silly money on Amazon. I can sell for around £100 sterling (the price I paid for it a couple of years ago), but I am open to negotiation!
I looked for that Walhall Götterdämmerung for a couple of years, and finally broke down and bought the entire cycle (the M&A release) when a copy showed up at a sort of reasonable price.

It's a shame that Windgassen didn't sing the young Siegfried in that cycle. Aldenhoff is dreadful - he and Kuen make Act 1 virtually unlistenable.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

I bought the Korean produced no-frills boxes (Venias label, OOP) of Knappertsbusch Bayreuth performances several years ago.
Three Ring cycles (1955-57).
Twelve Parsifals (1951,1952,1954, & 1956-64).
I think most were "pirated" from other editions, like Melodram.
A legal practice under Korean and/or Japanese law as I understand it.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I looked for that Walhall Götterdämmerung for a couple of years, and finally broke down and bought the entire cycle (the M&A release) when a copy showed up at a sort of reasonable price.

It's a shame that Windgassen didn't sing the young Siegfried in that cycle. Aldenhoff is dreadful - he and Kuen make Act 1 virtually unlistenable.
Thank goodness someone else has spotted the shortcomings of Paul 'Mr. Approximate' Kuen. I quite often follow with the score and Kuen seems to feel that Wagner is open to free form interpretation. Gruesome! Can't understand how conductors let him away with it so often. I suppose there's not a lot you can do during a live performance but really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts