Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously, I had not listened to the Ring much for maybe a year and back about the middle of August I started listening and can't stop. It has been over three months now and about 95% of my listening is the Ring. I can't stop. I don't want to stop. Should I be happy? Sad? Am I going mad? Has this happened to anyone else on TC?

Maybe it is just me. I once listened to the Gardiner Beethoven Third Symphony recording over and over for a week straight, all day long, every day. I have also been known to listen to the same opera (different recordings usually) for up to a month straight.

Reactions: kineno

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Seriously, I had not listened to the Ring much for maybe a year and back about the middle of August I started listening and can't stop. It has been over three months now and about 95% of my listening is the Ring. I can't stop. I don't want to stop. Should I be happy? Sad? Am I going mad? Has this happened to anyone else on TC?

Maybe it is just me. I once listened to the Gardiner Beethoven Third Symphony recording over and over for a week straight, all day long, every day. I have also been known to listen to the same opera (different recordings usually) for up to a month straight.
Welcome to the club! You'll never go back! (Although you will listen to other operas as well.)

N.

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,590 Posts
You can check out but you can never leave :lol:

·
Registered
516 Posts
This is the kind of thing that happens to me for a few weeks or months every few/several years...

I think it is a normal thing for most Wagner lovers.

You should see me when it happens, I've got the full orchestral scores out, strewn everywhere, CDs, DVDs, the laptop open and hooked up to the good speakers for the versions I only have files for. Books on Wagner, biographies, libretti, Books of Wagner's writings and letters...

It's a whole scene. Embrace it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

I get like that, too. Especially with the Ring, Beethoven's Leonore (Jacobs) and Mozart (especially Figaro, Don Giovanni and Idomeneo). With the Ring, I won't listen to it for months on end, or maybe a year or more, then when I start it's all I listen to for weeks on end. I get obsessed with it. It's just so good - from the first note to the last. I just love it so much. I gotta get back to it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I find that I go through cycles with Wagner, and every once in a while I decide to just set him totally aside for a few weeks. Balances out the periods in which I listen to 5+ of his operas in a week and it's good to come back with fresh ears occasionally. I guess I'm not alone in this. I once listened to three Tristans in two days, which was nearly as intense as watching a videotape of Tristan right after a videotape of Meistersinger.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I am still listening to the ring daily and have focused in to primarily the Frankfurter Ring conducted by Weigle.

Meanwhile, during the day I have been listing to other works, lately Fidelio, but since I went through most of my Fidelio recordings, i will listen to Leonore this week. Also I am watching opera on DVD, a slow process for me because of time limitations, but currently watching a great Don Pasquale production on You Tube.

But, ah the Ring.What a wonderful work.

Reactions: Itullian and kineno

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I am still listening to the ring daily and have focused in to primarily the Frankfurter Ring conducted by Weigle.

Meanwhile, during the day I have been listing to other works, lately Fidelio, but since I went through most of my Fidelio recordings, i will listen to Leonore this week. Also I am watching opera on DVD, a slow process for me because of time limitations, but currently watching a great Don Pasquale production on You Tube.

But, ah the Ring.What a wonderful work.
If you haven't heard the Boulez '76 and '77 recordings from Bayreuth, you must. The '77 one is sensational from a performance perspective. It's one of my favorites. They were mad as hell at this new Ring and they weren't going to take it. The '76 recording is wonderful from a "I can't believe how crazy the audience is" perspective. Opera Depot has both.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you haven't heard the Boulez '76 and '77 recordings from Bayreuth, you must. The '77 one is sensational from a performance perspective. It's one of my favorites. They were mad as hell at this new Ring and they weren't going to take it. The '76 recording is wonderful from a "I can't believe how crazy the audience is" perspective. Opera Depot has both.
Is that the same one as the DVD? I have the DVD.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the "official" CD/DVD recordings were done in 1980 except Götterdämmerung which was in 1979. As far as I know the DVDs and the CDs are the same performances, which were done an act at a time in an empty theatre. So the '76 and '77 recordings would be the same production, with a similar but not identical cast, and "actually" live in front of an audience. I've only heard the Philips CDs. I wouldn't want it as my only Ring but I'm glad to have seen YouTube videos of the whole thing and heard the CDs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts