Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Reactions: Sonata

· Registered
9,759 Posts
If you think that classical recordings have dried up please PayPal me $3500 and I promise that I can deliver you a zillion new classical releases straight off iTunes easily.

In other words, I am going broke finding new recordings...

Reactions: Sonata

· Registered
9,759 Posts
The classical music recording industry is certainly on its last legs, for some quite obvious reasons. Here's a recent article that suggests why new recordings may be rare.

http://slippedisc.com/2015/04/classical-record-sales-just-keep-on-falling/

The industry is also being hurt by the ongoing change in the way people listen to music. CM accounted for 2.8% of albums and album downloads in 2013, but only 0.5% of digital streams.
Interestingly enough I swear that I have seen more DG and small label releases this summer than last winter. People are busy recordings and I suspect that the U.S. Market is weaker than the European market.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Agree. Still, the difficulty of selling an economical quantity of any one album would tend to make publishing in the classical sector an unattractive prospect. Maybe my active catalog has 1,000 albums, but if I'm losing money on most then I'm not a happy capitalist.
Woohoo I am not a capitalist so my collection doesn't mind losing its value LOL.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Perhaps my gripe is basically that so much of what is being released is not just re-releases but also almost entirely the standard repertoire "warhorses" or just bland and/or uninteresting stuff. (Yes, I understand how totally subjective these complaints are.)
No worries, if you look Kairos and other small labels are pumping out new stuff like crazy. :)

Reactions: StlukesguildOhio

· Registered
9,759 Posts
I can't see why people want to keep buying new versions of the standard pieces. How many Beethoven, Mahler and Tchaikovsky cycles do we need? I mainly buy recordings of obscure works. I just got Malipiero Sinfonia degli eroi / Dai sepolcri / Ditirambo tragico. Never recorded works.
We can never have enough versions. Different interpretations for different folks.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Of course there are exceptions to the trend I'm describing, Kairos being one; in fact the small independent labels have been my life-blood for music for decades. But it's precisely the output of these companies that is seeming to be getting less and less interesting and who seem to be greatly expanding their volume of re-releases.
Well... here's an example of very new stuff being recorded even from older composers...

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Classical music recording is still going on pretty strong. Here is an example from Naxos' latest list.

http://www.naxos.com/newreleases.asp

Here you have the following:

The Berlin Gamba Book
R. Danielpour
S. Gubaidulina (guitar stuff which is pretty offbeat)
P. Hindemith
K. Leighton
B. Martinu
B. Pigovat
A. Pinho Vargas
Q. Porter
R . Schumann
J. Sibelius
K.S. Sorabji
Shuya Xi

Quite the mad variety... a mix of the familiar and the relatively unknown.

So definitely there are lots more left in the classical world to be recorded for sure.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
I like to hear different interpretations of the same works. No issue with that.

Jazz music is a lot easier to collect in that regards.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Reactions: Baregrass
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.