Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Starthrower is correct. Life is VERY different from what is on TV. The vast vast vast vast vast majority of people (of ALL races) go about their days and nights without any fear of getting shot. There is NOT a war against black people here in America. And to spell it "AmeriKKKa" is wholly innacurate, ignorant, and insulting.
I mainly associate it with online Maoists from like, the 90s/early 00s. The kind with weird, Geocities-quality web pages filled with reams of manifestos (manifesti?). I always preferred "United $nakes", which is amusingly evocative.

As someone who lives in a city, it's amazing how many people think I must fear for my life every day, or that the city has burned down. I don't (my friends in Portland get even more amusement about national news stories about the supposed hellscape they live in). Local news is bad about this too- as they say, "if it bleeds, it leads"

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The Yanks in the audience will probably appreciate Lil Ludi’s Americanism, but what are the genres that you cover all bases in.

For Lil Ludi, it’s Lieder, Modern classical, Irish trad, improv, psych, free jazz, prog, krautrock, electronica, post punk, grunge, gangsta-rap, drill and Iranian…

Perhaps, I should list a favourite from all of the above…

You?
Not sure what you mean by, "cover all bases", but the genres and subgenres I listen to are:

Prog (the following subgenres):
classic 70's era prog from all countries, but besides the UK, I have a deep affinity for Italian prog.
Zeuhl, Magma, and bands influenced by them (Eskaton, Setna, Zao, Potemkine, Shub-Niggurath, Corima, etc).
Avant-prog: Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Aranis, Samla Mammas Mana, Khan, etc
Canterbury: Hatfield and the North, Supersister, National Health, Picchio Dal Pozzo, Matching Mole, Manna/Mirage, etc
Prog-metal: Pain of Salvation, The Contortionist, Wolverine, uneXpect, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Riverside, Zero Hour, etc (NOT Dream Theater!)

Jazz (the following subgenres):
Fusion: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spaced Out, Return to Forever, Iceberg, McGill/Manring/Stevens, Kenso, etc
Post bop: Coltrane, Miles, Pharaoh Sanders, Bill Evans,
Avant-garde: The Art ensemble of Chicago, Anthony Braxton, Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Andrew Hill, etc
M-Base: Steve Coleman, Ravi Coltrane, Andrew Milne, Jonathan Finlayson, David Gilmore, etc
ECM: I list the label, because most of the music on this label has an underlying aesthetic that kind of ties it together.

Classical:
Mostly mid to late 20th century, atonal, serial, avant-garde, modernist.
Elliott Carter, Charles Wuorinen, Thomas Ades, Magnus Lindberg, Harrison Birtwhistle, Bruno Maderna, Stefan Wolpe, Joan Carter, Unsuk Chin, Berg, Webern, Schoenberg, Ersnt Krenek, George Perles, Eduard Tubin, etc.

I don't listen to very much outside the above, except in a very casual way. I never sit down for a serious listening session, and play anything else besides the above. Life's too short.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not sure what you mean by, "cover all bases", but the genres and subgenres I listen to are:

Prog (the following subgenres):
classic 70's era prog from all countries, but besides the UK, I have a deep affinity for Italian prog.
Zeuhl, Magma, and bands influenced by them (Eskaton, Setna, Zao, Potemkine, Shub-Niggurath, Corima, etc).
Avant-prog: Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Aranis, Samla Mammas Mana, Khan, etc
Canterbury: Hatfield and the North, Supersister, National Health, Picchio Dal Pozzo, Matching Mole, Manna/Mirage, etc
Prog-metal: Pain of Salvation, The Contortionist, Wolverine, uneXpect, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Riverside, Zero Hour, etc (NOT Dream Theater!)

Jazz (the following subgenres):
Fusion: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spaced Out, Return to Forever, Iceberg, McGill/Manring/Stevens, Kenso, etc
Post bop: Coltrane, Miles, Pharaoh Sanders, Bill Evans,
Avant-garde: The Art ensemble of Chicago, Anthony Braxton, Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Andrew Hill, etc
M-Base: Steve Coleman, Ravi Coltrane, Andrew Milne, Jonathan Finlayson, David Gilmore, etc
ECM: I list the label, because most of the music on this label has an underlying aesthetic that kind of ties it together.

Classical:
Mostly mid to late 20th century, atonal, serial, avant-garde, modernist.
Elliott Carter, Charles Wuorinen, Thomas Ades, Magnus Lindberg, Harrison Birtwhistle, Bruno Maderna, Stefan Wolpe, Joan Carter, Unsuk Chin, Berg, Webern, Schoenberg, Ersnt Krenek, George Perles, Eduard Tubin, etc.

I don't listen to very much outside the above, except in a very casual way. I never sit down for a serious listening session, and play anything else besides the above. Life's too short.
Lots of typos in the above, but too late to fix them now.

Let me add a few more:

Fusion: Brand X, Tribal Tech, Counter-World Experience, Tunnels, Panzerballett, Octafish. Allan Holdsworth...How can I forget Holdsworth?!
Post Bop: Herbie Hancock, Mingus, Wayne Shorter.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts