Classical Music Forum banner
281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Next choral: "Meinen Jesum lass ich nicht" (english: "Jesus I will never leave"), namely the melody of the Hymnary of Darmstadt from 1699. The composer of this melody seems to be unkown; the text was written by Christian Keymann.

Here the melody of this choral played on the organ

I learn it on the tenor viol, naturally.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Rachmaninov prelude in G minor for piano, my lockdown assignment - barring unforeseen developments I'm due for my first lesson back in 3 days' time with one or two passages still taking me to the outer edge of my technique!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Nice to see guitar players here :) Have been very lazy with my guitar lately, but started over again with Llobet's Cordoba (Albeniz) transcription. Since my fingers feel stiff, I got a bit excited to really practice again. I have a ton of music I want to play and none of it is easy. I don't want to sound any worse than a CD...:guitar:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nikita Koshkin's Prelude and Fugue in F-Sharp minor. Here is is ex-wife playing this very demanding work (especially the Fugue...whew!):

(This is the closest we guitarists will get to a guitar work by Shostakovich!)

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
I haven't had a fiddle lesson since May 2019, just before we left Norfolk for Yorkshire. I was thinking of finding another teacher after we'd found our new home in Gemtown near York, but then came lockdown.

To keep my hand in, I have a repertoire of tunes, mostly Scottish with some Irish and some Playford, that I try to do each week, though I also revisit sheet music of various sorts - baroque, klezmer - that I played with my East Anglian Fiddle Guru.

The latest tune that I've added to my repertoire is Johnny Cock Thy Beaver, from The Division Violin, the Playford publication of 1684. http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/72280 - if any violinist here would like to try it.

There are other pieces from this book that I've played, including St Paul's Steeple, which I may return to at some point.
Here's the tune played by The Witches:

And here's the sheet music: https://musescore.com/user/668541/scores/6157264
When I used to play this for Fiddle Guru, I didn't entirely master it. It always felt scary, and it's scarier still now that I'm out of practice - I think my standard in any case has slipped in the two years without a teacher. Still, it would be good for me. Use it or lose it. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've recently picked up a work that I took a stab at once in my youth - Hindemith's Violin Sonata in E. This is a wonderful piece which presents just the right degree of challenge for me at my current level of ability. But there's one passage that continues to plague me.

In the second movement, 3-4 bars after the "V" mark, there is a shift from an F# (played in fifth postion on the A string) to a high A on the E string (which I play with the third finger in 8th position). I never get this first time. I have to go over it again and usually get it the second time, but never the first. I don't know what is wrong with me - I can't seem to hear the note in my mind, which is half of one's success in position shifting. It bugs me no end.

Playing with a pianist for the first time tomorrow. I just know I'm going to embarrass myself!

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
I haven't had a fiddle lesson since May 2019, just before we left Norfolk for Yorkshire. I was thinking of finding another teacher after we'd found our new home in Gemtown near York, but then came lockdown.

To keep my hand in, I have a repertoire of tunes, mostly Scottish with some Irish and some Playford, that I try to do each week, though I also revisit sheet music of various sorts - baroque, klezmer - that I played with my East Anglian Fiddle Guru.

The latest tune that I've added to my repertoire is Johnny Cock Thy Beaver, from The Division Violin, the Playford publication of 1684. http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/72280 - if any violinist here would like to try it.

There are other pieces from this book that I've played, including St Paul's Steeple, which I may return to at some point.
Here's the tune played by The Witches:

And here's the sheet music: https://musescore.com/user/668541/scores/6157264
When I used to play this for Fiddle Guru, I didn't entirely master it. It always felt scary, and it's scarier still now that I'm out of practice - I think my standard in any case has slipped in the two years without a teacher. Still, it would be good for me. Use it or lose it. :)
Going to a new teacher tomorrow for two trial lessons - just going to do some pieces that I know so she can find out what I'm like. I've been practising two Klezmer pieces from Ilana Cravitz's book (Khosidl & Terkisher), Purcell's Rondeau from Abdelazer, and two baroque-type Scottish pieces from Iain Fraser's Scottish Fiddle Tunes, Roslin Castle (James Oswald) & Sir Charles Forbes of Newe and Edinglassie (William Marshall).

·
Registered
501 Posts
I work on the choral "Nun danket all und bringet Ehr" (English: All Ye Who on This Earth Do Dwell) by Paul Gerhardt with the tenor viol because I want to play it (with organ accompaniment) on the commemoration of my grandfather (who died yesterday at the age of 106 years) and my godfather (who died in January this year at the age of 78 years). This commemoration will be in two and a half weeks and will also include a church service.

My grandfather was a great fan of Paul Gerhardt and his hymns, and he encouraged me to learn to play the viol.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm adding another choral: "Gloria sei dir gesungen" (English: "Now let all the heav'ns adore thee", the third stanza of "Wake, awake, for night is flying") in the version by Johann Sebastian Bach. I want to play also this with organ accompaniment on the commemoration of my grandfather and my godfather. I'm keeping free the next weekend for rehearsing the chorals with the organist.

·
Registered
501 Posts
On Saturday I played the chorals on the commemoration of my grandfather and my godfather in the church. It was my first real public performance with the viola da gamba. It went well - the rehearsing also with the organist was worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
I'm still beavering on with the folk music, but to improve a little I'm working on some of the early music I used to do with my fiddle teacher in Norfolk - see post #289 above.

I'm also working on improving my speed by accompanying Jimmy Shand! Finally, after ten years' return to the fiddle, I can keep up! :)

281 - 296 of 296 Posts