Classical Music Forum banner
1041 - 1044 of 1044 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
My current piano teacher likes to work through things rather than at things. In some ways, it's good as it develops flexibility; in other ways it doesn't help as much with technique.

I've been currently working through the ABRSM Mozart Sonatas for Pianoforte. I've got up to the Sonata in A minor, K. 310. I'm not entirely in sympathy with this sort of music compared to the Baroque which makes it more of a challenge. The move to a more harmonic style with lots of arpeggios and patterned bass figures makes for a number of technical challenges.

Reactions: mikeh375

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Mozart K310 is one of my favourites and I enjoyed learning it. I particularly loved the pedal point section in the development of the 1st mvt. and the sequential 'release' that follows. It's finger-tastic Taggart.
I'm about to take delivery of a book of note for note transcriptions of Oscar Peterson solos so my pencil is at the ready for some serious fingering....:)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My current piano teacher likes to work through things rather than at things. In some ways, it's good as it develops flexibility; in other ways it doesn't help as much with technique.

I've been currently working through the ABRSM Mozart Sonatas for Pianoforte. I've got up to the Sonata in A minor, K. 310. I'm not entirely in sympathy with this sort of music compared to the Baroque which makes it more of a challenge. The move to a more harmonic style with lots of arpeggios and patterned bass figures makes for a number of technical challenges.
My teacher's the same. I like her and we get on well, but in addition to what you (rightly) say I feel it actually narrows one's repertoire, as it makes it harder to get pieces into long-term memory. As far as playing goes I also prefer Baroque music (whereas for listening Mozart's my favourite composer of them all) but I've covered K331 and - a personal favourite - K332 with her and I do think they've done good things for my technique.

In terms of current repertoire I've sort of moved in mike's direction as my Easter holiday assignment is Alec Templeton's "Bach Goes To Town - Prelude and Fugue in Swing". :)

1041 - 1044 of 1044 Posts