Classical Music Forum banner
6661 - 6680 of 6733 Posts

· Registered
913 Posts
Definitely getting into more Greene. Writing to savour. Figuratively I can see someone reading this with a glass of whisky on a side table cigar resting in the ashtray..
Greene's ability to go between the social commentary novel and the thriller (or 'an entertainment' as he characterised it) was unmatched. One of the most versatile novelists of the 20th century.

· Registered
15,752 Posts
I have been a huge Cormac McCarthy fan, and duly purchased this book and the companion book - but his later fiction has not interested me as much as his earlier novels. I'll probably read them, but like The Road, the subject and setting are not to my taste.

· Registered
6,751 Posts
Does anyone have the new Dylan book on Kindle. If so, how does it look? Would I be better getting the hardback?

· Registered
913 Posts
I read 'Gojim' by now almost forgotten Belgian author Johan Daisne. He was the first to bring 'magic realism' into Flemish literature. A have a few paperbacks which are 'new-old stock' and look brand new despite being from 1966-68. So there's also a short play of his I'll read.

After that I'm going to read Stan Barstow's A Kind Of Loving, which I suspect I might have read years ago, but I can't recall a thing.

· Registered
287 Posts
'Palate' surely?
Yes. I had a chortle at some of the writing style today. Picture the scene - a youngish manager of a theatre is lodging with a lady ie one thing led to another although they have their own chambers in the house. An actor has died in a brawl in a drinking den. Unbenownst to the manager the deceased has a heavily pregnant wife. The wife of the deceased has visited him when he was out asking the landlady for a private meeting with him. The manager has to explain to her the situation with the wife to which she becomes apologetic and interested in assisting her in her grief.

`Anne (the landlady) went bustling across the room then stopped in her tracks as a thought struck her. She swung round on her heel.

If the girl is going to be in[I] your bed...[/I]

Yes?

Where will you sleep?

HIs (the managers) grin broadened and she replied with a knowing smile. It would give her the chance to show him how sorry she was.

· Registered
28 Posts
I was gifted this book by a fellow traveler and I'm hooked to it. It's a story of a backpacking explorer traveling across different parts of the world and to the remotest of places exposing herself to alien cultures.

Ecoregion World Vertebrate Nature Natural environment

The other book I'm reading is Francisco Cantú's The Line Becomes a River. The book is memoir of the author's time as a Border Patrol agent on the US-Mexico border and his experiences after leaving the Border Patrol.

· Registered
408 Posts
I've read a lot of dark, creepy novels, but this one must rank near or at the top! It's billed as gothic horror science fiction, and I've never read anything like it. Her writing is stunning. If you have an aversion to parasites, then give it a hard pass.
Bottle Liquid Handwriting Drinkware Fluid

· Registered
6,751 Posts
I’ve just started the new Bob Dylan book on my Kindle and for my own amusement I’m compiling a play list of all his suggestions, as far as they are available, on Amazon Music Unlimited. Looking forward to the odyssey,😎

6661 - 6680 of 6733 Posts