Classical Music Forum banner
6681 - 6700 of 6733 Posts

· Registered
913 Posts
View attachment 181004

Michael Hudson - The Destiny of Civilization
I've read a couple of Hudson's books and quite liked them. However I (and some others) ended up in an online discussion with him and it went awry. Despite his background and reputation (the respectable Univ of Missouri Kansas City), he doesn't seem to understand certain factual operational things about the economy (e.g. the relationshp of the Federal Reserve to government and it's status) and as such he's obsessed with the idea that some other 'public monetary system' needs to be created rather than taking proper control of the existing monetary economy.

· Registered
913 Posts
I finished La Carte Postale last night, in bed, after drinking a glass of champagne with my neighbour (she wasn't in the bed!). It's quite a long book and I'd been reading it on and off since the summer (mentioned here earlier in this thread). The subject matter of the book is based upon the author's actual family background and reads like a biographical/autobiographical mystery set against the backdrop of the Nazi takeover of France; moving back and forth from then and now.

The final chapter is revelatory and quite moving. After having followed the protagonist's life as a young girl, young woman, survivor of the holocaust, to the last days of old age with Alzheimer's, the final piece of the puzzle could easily bring a tear to your eye.

· Registered
2,970 Posts
The Classical Music Book: Big Ideas Briefly Explained from DK Publishing

This book is a great resource, and I learned quite a bit, especially in the pre-Baroque sections. The book is sometimes discounted to $1.99 as an ebook, which is how I picked it up.

· Registered
913 Posts
The crusades as seen by the Arabs - Amin Maalouf.

It's 40 years this year since this book was published, which provided a fresh look at the crusades for a western popular readership. I've always meant to read it and I found a copy today for €1.

6681 - 6700 of 6733 Posts