Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
4,557 Posts
Same as I have said on every rap/hip hop thread that has appeared here through the years: it is just about the quintessence of everything that is wrong with modern culture.

· Registered
4,174 Posts
I was in 2014 a fond follower of rap (not hip hop), caring more for the production value. clipping.'s debut was a nice surprise and lesser good than their follow-ups. I don't ever pay attention to the lyrics (props of thinking in Spanish) but the music, so yes, I praise Kanye West careful productions and sense of musical composition. Partynextdoor is a superb producer also but too insecure and safe composition-wise. Nicki Minaj hits me down in the guts, nothing intellectual, just joyful sassiness, party hard. Future is hard to get. He releases too much.

For an Alternative, non-mainstream approach, Danny Brown's "Atrocity Exhibition" has been a recent favourite. Check that one out. Backed by the press reviewers and myself too. So I say of Vince Staples and Young Fathers.

Chance the Rapper and Kendrick Lamar are not my picks at all. They may have top-class songwriting, but I demand musicality, Tone.

I would consistently praise Drake if his albums had less fillers (like "Nothing Was The Same") when he already has a bunch of instant classic tracks in the genre.

· Registered
342 Posts
I was in 2014 a fond follower of rap (not hip hop), caring more for the production value. clipping.'s debut was a nice surprise and lesser good than their follow-ups. I don't ever pay attention to the lyrics (props of thinking in Spanish) but the music, so yes, I praise Kanye West careful productions and sense of musical composition. Partynextdoor is a superb producer also but too insecure and safe composition-wise. Nicki Minaj hits me down in the guts, nothing intellectual, just joyful sassiness, party hard. Future is hard to get. He releases too much.

For an Alternative, non-mainstream approach, Danny Brown's "Atrocity Exhibition" has been a recent favourite. Check that one out. Backed by the press reviewers and myself too. So I say of Vince Staples and Young Fathers.

Chance the Rapper and Kendrick Lamar are not my picks at all. They may have top-class songwriting, but I demand musicality, Tone.

I would consistently praise Drake if his albums had less fillers (like "Nothing Was The Same") when he already has a bunch of instant classic tracks in the genre.
As a long-time fan of both hip-hop and rap, I really think your opinions on Future, Drake, Nicki Minaj, and especially Kanye West are spot-on. As for Kendrick Lamar and Chance The Rapper, give their albums at least 3 spins and you will hear the intricate musicality, especially on Lamar's opus, "To Pimp A Butterfly" .:angel:

· Administrator
10,453 Posts
I have no objections to it ... but what I do object to is when this music genre is being played so loudly in cars about town with the excessive bass thumps that rattle the windows on my car.

I respect others when I am listening to Classical music ... I expect the same respect from those that play rap in their cars.

· Registered
3,168 Posts
I think a bit more positively about rap and hiphop than about techno, house, dance and trance (THDT).
I remember I liked The Last Poets and a few early rappers/hiphop bands. Whenever ther are crossovers or blends with other musical genres - as in some more recent rap/hiphop - there's a chance I like it more or less, as for instance with Kyteman.
Most of what happened in between, as far as I heard it, didn't invite me to look into it more deeply. I really hate this gangsta rap for what it stands for but musically even that is more interesting than THDT.

· Registered
2,511 Posts
I have no objections to it ... but what I do object to is when this music genre is being played so loudly in cars about town with the excessive bass thumps that rattle the windows on my car.

I respect others when I am listening to Classical music ... I expect the same respect to those that play rap in their cars.
One time I played Fanfare for the Common Man so loud in my car that it broke the windows of the car nearby.

· Registered
807 Posts
What do I think about Rap Music? I think I will follow TwoFlutesOneTrumpet's lead and keep this forum "family friendly". I've said my piece on this subject elsewhere on TC.

Reactions: hpowders

· Registered
2,583 Posts
What do you think about rap/hip hop?

It is grate in fact it is very grate even enough to be very very grating.

• Haha
Reactions: pianozach

· Administrator
10,453 Posts
@ Earthboundrules,

I agree ... it does get bad rep ... but, imho, some of that is may be caused by those that insist that everyone else in the world MUST hear their choice in music when about in their cars. It becomes irritating to say the least - I am respectful of others and do not play my classical music at blasting volumes to disturb other drivers ... I expect the same consideration for those that appreciate rap/hip hop. It doesn't have to be played at eardrum busting volume levels to be enjoyed (?).

We will be in the middle of a church service and a rap/hip hop lover is driving on the street just outside with their choice of music playing full blast, to the point where all of our church windows rattle, and well, it's just irritating ... we were not broadcasting our service music outside of our building ... but yet we were forced to endure that loud thump thump bass and the rap music and had absolutely no choice about it. That's being disrespectful to others ... and creates a bad rep for them in the meantime.

It's their right to love and appreciate rap/hip hop ... it's also MY right not to have "their" music invade my personal space.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
I have new neighbors and wherever he goes on the section he takes his music not excessively loud by city standards but in the country where the loudest things you hear is the river 200 meters away or the birds it is so annoying.

· Banned
392 Posts
@ Earthboundrules,

I agree ... it does get bad rep ... but, imho, some of that is may be caused by those that insist that everyone else in the world MUST hear their choice in music when about in their cars. It becomes irritating to say the least - I am respectful of others and do not play my classical music at blasting volumes to disturb other drivers ... I expect the same consideration for those that appreciate rap/hip hop. It doesn't have to be played at eardrum busting volume levels to be enjoyed (?).

We will be in the middle of a church service and a rap/hip hop lover is driving on the street just outside with their choice of music playing full blast, to the point where all of our church windows rattle, and well, it's just irritating ... we were not broadcasting our service music outside of our building ... but yet we were forced to endure that loud thump thump bass and the rap music and had absolutely no choice about it. That's being disrespectful to others ... and creates a bad rep for them in the meantime.

It's their right to love and appreciate rap/hip hop ... it's also MY right not to have "their" music invade my personal space.
So are you saying that you have more of a problem with inconsiderate people than with rap/hip-hop necessarily? if so, I agree

But if so, I don't mind hearing stuff that I otherwise wouldn't hear, it's not like I'm locked in a dungeon 24/7

· Registered
342 Posts
Just listened again (for the nth time) to Frank Ocean's album "Channel Orange" and it is still a stunning piece of music with undeniable brilliance in musicality, lyrics, production and especially in his audacity to sing love songs to another man - a taboo in the heterosexual world of rap/hip-hop.

· Administrator
10,453 Posts
So are you saying that you have more of a problem with inconsiderate people than with rap/hip-hop necessarily? if so, I agree

But if so, I don't mind hearing stuff that I otherwise wouldn't hear, it's not like I'm locked in a dungeon 24/7
Well, yes ... the person that is playing Country or Rock at full volume is just as irritating, so it's not just the rap/hip hop lovers creating the issue, it's people in general.

I love to play my favorite music while out and about in the car ... when I can no longer hear what I've selected (with my windows closed and not disturbing anyone else) then that's an invasion of my personal space.

Oddly enough those who opt to play their music at full volume with all their car windows open (whether it's freezing cold or blistering hot outside) and they see a cop car immediately turn their volume down to a respectable level.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts