Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel like like an outlier in this discussion (born in 1950) but I don't admire recording-quality as my most important criterion. For my money, what gets me is a superior interpretation of a well-known work. Arthur Grumiaux's lesser-known recording of the Brahms Violin Concerto from 1958 with the Concertgebuow leaves every other recording in the dust, including his own later rendition. Periodically it gets re-released. Standards? The orchestra is superb! Grumiaux's architecture, his taste, and intelligence put me on the floor every time! His double-stopping has an indescribable "royal" flavor. The moods and colors the generates are unusually varied. His ending of the work reminds me of the end of a tragic opera. He does all that by sheer timing mastery. I could go on, or did I already?
Hey, it's up on Youtube! (Turn it up.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another outlier here, I was born in 1946. The Brahms VC is very close to my heart; my parents bought me the D Oistrakh/Konwitschny mono DGG LP in 1960, my second ever LP. I still think the performance is unsurpassed. I have two Grumiaux recordings, but I'm not sure if one is the one you have (there are two later recordings by Grumiaux: Haitink and Colin Davis) ie conducted by van Beinum. If I have it, I'll listen to it intently! Another favourite of mine of the Brahms Concerto is Szeryng/Monteux. I'd dearly like to have the original SB RCA LP, but they seem to go for around £200... And I really must replay the Oistrakh/Klemperer record.
I have the Oistrakh and I do like it a lot. It's hard for any other record to measure up to the Grumeaux. (The Davis is tepid.) The link to the Van Beunum is right in my post above. Whoever remastered it took the life out of it, most of the **** and vinegar. How'd they DO that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts