Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Strange as it is... Normally people will remember him for his late sonatas. But I find his earlier works more attractive. If you asked me... I'll prefer his 32 Variations in Cminor to any sonatas.
I hate the hammerklavier.. Don't get the wrong idea. Love to listen , but hate to play it. It's just like one big variation, and I used to find the LH at page 2 utterly confusing. Sometimes the semiquavers slur upwards, sometimes downwards... and I always played them the other way round.
I dislike the Pathetique and Moonlight sonata also... maybe it's too overplayed. :blink:
I don't like Appasionata and Waldstein also. :blink:
But I love the rest of them...LOVE. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
245 Posts
BTW, have u heard of Beethoven's 'Rage over a Lost penny'? Very interesting and absolutely fun to play.
I think the tittle was given by one of its editors, just like the Pathetique Sonata.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:p My favourite Beethovensonates are

1. Les Adieux (opus 81a)
2. A Therese (opus 78)
3. Appassionata (opus 57)

I love them since i was a 6 year old kid and got my first LP. And still have a weak spot for the performer.... Robert Casadesus...

Frank :wub:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I like the Pathetic Sonata best, but the presto agitato is an exelent peice. I've tried to play it on many occasion but failed miserably. I know one person that can play that peice profficiently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
28th, the only piano sonata Beethoven once performed in public.

I love it very much, though it is really hard to play well, especially the second movement, and the fugue in the last movement.

How fantastic is Richter's live recording (27,28,29) in Prague!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Appassionata -

In my opinion, I place the Appassionata in the most honourable position. It has an extraordinarily tragic and violent nature, and the story of its birth is fascinating. First of all, its violent beauty may describe Beethoven's personality more clearly than any other works. I have been playing it again and again for about two years. Thank you for your question!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Definately the 'Moonlight' Sonata for me. Both the Presto Agitato and Adagio Sostenuto sections are excellent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At the moment, The Tempest. I'm working on it now because after I heard it, I just had to learn it. It's gorgeous, especially the third part. However my favorite little melodic segment from the whole sonata is in the first movement... that catchy high pitched right hand melody that comes right after the fast ascending scale in the left hand.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One word: Moonlight Sonata.
Well, that counts as two words..hehe:)

4/4player

·
Banned
946 Posts
Today, it's the Apassionata and the Waldstein.

Yesterday was the Hammerklavier.

I suggest you to visit the Guardian's blog, where you can download András Schiff lectures on Beethoven piano sonatas in Wigmore Hall. Don't miss this files, it's about 17 hours of Beethoven.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hammerklavier, Waldstein and Mondschein. Definitely. And my favourite LvB sonata movement is Adagio sostenuto from the Hammerklavier. So depressively beautiful... :(

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm on board (so to speak) with 4/4 player in advocacy of the Moonlight sonata. I really want to like the Hammerklavier sonata more, but I still prefer the former. I'm sure I need to have a few more auditions of the Hammerklavier, to give the piece every opportunity to grow on me.

well, that's the last of the spam off the front page of our beloved board.

Reactions: Dr Johnson
1 - 20 of 270 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.