Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Administrator
11,932 Posts
There are several works where I feel one could "drop the needle" anywhere and I would be in heaven (work is beautiful and engrossing). Dvorak's Cello Concerto and Beethoven's Symphony 7 fall into that category. The work that I have viewed as my favorite for some time now is Beethoven's 9th. For me, it's an hour of beautiful, powerful, engaging music.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are several works where I feel one could "drop the needle" anywhere and I would be in heaven (work is beautiful and engrossing). Dvorak's Cello Concerto and Beethoven's Symphony 7 fall into that category. The work that I have viewed as my favorite for some time now is Beethoven's 9th. For me, it's an hour of beautiful, powerful, engaging music.
I feel as though the nine has too many notes, and not based on grand hooks to keep the listener interested. That's just my take.

·
Administrator
11,932 Posts
Do you agree it's a bit flashy and not focused on strong hooks for the majority of it, aside from the most recognizable portion of it in the finale? Pls explain how you view it, and what makes it sublime to you?
I don't see it as flashy, and I'm not sure about the idea of strong hooks. The music continuously pulls me in. I view each movement as beautiful and profoundly moving. I'm stunned that such a long work can engage me so strongly throughout. With Mozart, my favorite composer, I love so much, but I don't necessarily view each movement as sublime. Obviously, that's my subjective opinion.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't see it as flashy, and I'm not sure about the idea of strong hooks. The music continuously pulls me in. I view each movement as beautiful and profoundly moving. I'm stunned that such a long work can engage me so strongly throughout. With Mozart, my favorite composer, I love so much, but I don't necessarily view each movement as sublime. Obviously, that's my subjective opinion.

I can see that. I feel the notes tend to drive your ears, rather than catch your ears with hooks. But I don't appreciate that type of composition. I am all about strong melodies.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts