Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Charles Koechlin's Le buisson ardent has been my favorite for over 25 years. I first heard this work in 1994 when I bought the Cybelia CD (its 1st recording that I'm aware of). Prior to this, though, if I was asked (in the early '90s or late '80s) what is my favorite, then it likely was the soundtrack for L'Imprecateur by Richard Rodney Bennett.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Give a couple of examples of "exciting new music" that is more exciting than Mozart's sym no. 40... which for the purpose of this statement I'll define as classical music written in the last 40 years.
A couple examples within the last 40 years:

Maurice Ohana's 1989 Quatuor No. 3
Gunther Schuller's 1993 Of Reminiscences and Reflections

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
My version of exciting music seems very different from yours (just one example)
Agreed. I think we all should recognize that there are different types/levels of listeners/listening. It's not possible for any individual composition to appeal to everybody because not all of us have the same criteria for satisfaction.
I love sonorism. Textural sound sculptures appeal to me more than that which was written prior to the 20th century.

[that Schuller piece, by the way, won a Pulitzer - so there have been a few more human beings on the planet besides myself who love this music :) ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts