Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bartók's 1st piano concerto. I don't think any other piece has had such a profound musical effect on me - and I continue to discover new things in it every time I hear it. I love it dearly, and almost 15 years of listening hasn't changed that one bit.
What is your favourite recording, or one you recommend I listen to. Your description makes me want to hear it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The zero-thinking, gun-to-my-head choice is Beethoven Op. 111. It even has an aesthetically pleasing opus number.
Can anyone explain why some of Beethoven’s compositions, especially his later works such as certain piano sonatas and string quartets are only referred to by their opus number? I don’t see that happening as frequently with any other composer except maybe Mozart. But isn’t it easier to remember something as piano sonata no. 32?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia - a work which, over and above the sheer beauty of the sound world which VW creates, evokes everything that England has lost or is in danger of losing. It also has important non-musical associations for me. Although I don't really go in for 'bucket lists', I really would love to see and hear it performed in Gloucester Cathedral.
Vaughan Williams’ fantasy on a theme of Tallis is also one of my favourite pieces. I discovered it because our orchestra was playing it, which is the best way of discovering new music: by playing it yourself. Performing it was really one of the best experiences I’ve ever had

1 - 5 of 5 Posts